Hello everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanni

5 Year Member
I am Nanni and we (the kids and I - and yes, the kids own too, but I am responsible for it) are just brand new tortoise owners. Our little Herman is called Bubbles and we have her now for a week. Well, I not really know if he or she, but for me its a she anyway :).

I am a big fan of tortoises and turtles my whole life already and I am very happy, we finally really are able to have a tortoise ourselves.

So far, Bubbles is doing ok. Eats fairly regularly, enjoys the soaking time and now, that I changed the light fixture a bit, she is pretty happy with the set up it seems.

I am so thankful for this forum here. Its good to be able to get advice in case I need it and boy, am I sure in need of help since we are first owners. And also it was very interesting already in the decision process which tortoise to get and all.
That said, I gotta go, the game is starting.

Greetings from Nanni, happy tort owner :tort:

nanni

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the Welcome!

I totally forgot to write where we live, didn't I?
We live in the Detroit Area in Michigan and we are really happy here. Originally we came from Germany '08, but we hope we don't have to go back any time soon :).

I have a first question... I do have the light fixtures set up with UVB and a Heat lamp. So she has about 88 F at her basking spot and at the "eating area" she has 77 to 81. She seems to be ok with that temperatures. Normally she will dig herself under (I have coconut fibers and this tortoise safe bark stuff as substrate) when its getting dark outside. But last night, she didn't. I do wonder, if I really am supposed to turn of both lights at night? This night, the temp. in her room would go almost down to 70. And when I checked on her at night, she was really cold and couldn't move because of that.
Is that normal? Or shall I rather have the warming light running the whole time and just turn of the UVB over night? Or does she need darkness to sleep? And if that is the case... what are you guys doing over night, to keep the little ones warm? The winters here are not really known for warm temperatues :) and even with heating on, it might get still some bit colder (maybe a 67?) at night in winter time?

I would appreciate your help and maybe experience and advice and hope everybody has a wonderful day!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Nanni!!

Status
Not open for further replies.