Hello everybody... any advice given is much appreciated...

dirt_inc

Hello... My name is leroy... I live in chicago, Illinois. And I am also very new to the tortoise life... I've been a huge fan of them my whole life and I just purchased my first tortoise today. Its is a Russian tortoise.

Im very excited to add a new member to the family. I have owned aquatic turtles when I was much younger but I know they are very different from tortoises. I have done alot of research on the russian tortoise prior to purchase but alot of sites i've visted give a lot of diffrent information. So any advice from other tortoise owners with first hand experience is really greatly appreciated.

My wife and I are still trying to come up with the right name. So far he... well if he even is a he could be a she I have no idea how to tell yet. Well he has just been hiding since he got home. Ive just had him a few hours so hopefully tomorrow he feels comfortable to come out. Im planning to take him to the vet in a week to get him checked out. Gotta find one.

I know this is just an introduction but a few things that I would like a little insight on maybe is how to properly care for tortoise in the winter time, chicago get petty cold. I also live in a basement apartment and it does tend to be a bit humid in the summer. Any ideas to keep the humidity down would help alot. And also good diet routine.

So its nice to be a part of a group with so many like minded tortoise loving individuals. Thank for allowing me to be apart of it. Any questions feel free to ask.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Salutations.
I have had russians for about 15 years now. They take time to adjust to new surroundings, so he may be hiding for awhile,no need to worry though, once he ges a clean bill of health. Speaking of he, provide a good tail shot and we can sex him for you. Welcome aboard.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Leroy welcome to the TFO from AZ . Well as far as it hiding in the wild if the tort moves he is eaten ! So keep feeding him and soon he will see you as a food God and come running when he sees you for food ! Humidity isn't a problem cause if you read about Russian care he needs humidity to insure no bumps on his shell . And diet we talk about in the Russian care is a lot of broad leaf weeds . I have about 9 Russians myself . Have a great tort day . And put up some Picts .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. I think you found the right place to ask all your questions and get answer. No worries, this is a great place to learn and share.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I to live in Chicago, north side. There are a few reptile vets in the area, I haven't used any of them yet to recommend anyone. All I can say is be very careful on what they tell you. The advertised reptile vet in Skokie still has bad care info on their website, even though I have talked to them and directed them to this forum to catch up on the new, better ways of raising torts. Like mention, an adult Russian should have around 30-40 percent humidity. With heat lights you will most likely will have to help the humidity along, unless housing outside with only the sun for daily warm up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Leroy!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

dirt_inc

Thank guys... I do have a quick question if anyone can give me some advice on the matter. My tortoise is still hiding and I do understand that it is gonna take a while for him to feel at home. My only concern at the moment is him eatting. I put food out but he hasn't come out of his hiding spot. Now do I remove him from the hiding spot and place him by the food.... do I put the food closer to his hiding spot or will that just stress him out more. Any I just being overprotective should I just leave him be... any suggestions?

I also am adding a picture of his habitat. Any suggestions to improve are greatly appreciated. Or even is something looks wrong please let me know.

I will add a photo of my tortoise once he comes out of hiding...

dirt_inc

Yay he came out to eat right now.... I did end up moving the food tray a lil closer to his hiding spot. He came out and ate when I wasnt looking and then went right back to hiding but I did manage to get some photos. From the looks of the tail and the research I'm pretty sure that he is a he. What do u guys think?

Attachments

• 1404147296434.jpg
    1404147296434.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 1404147336581.jpg
    1404147336581.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 18

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you're right.

Be thinking about getting a bigger tub for your tortoise. The one you're using now is pretty small for the size Russian you have.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Here are some threads that should answer a bunch of your questions:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russians do just fine living outdoors in South Florida, so I don't think you need to worry much about your humidity, especially indoors with a heat bulb.

One thing I noticed in the pics is your food and water bowls are not good. Too small, too steep. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate will work much better. That's all in the care sheet linked above.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks male to me as well.

justino4444

5 Year Member
Hello Leroy welcome to the TFO from AZ . Well as far as it hiding in the wild if the tort moves he is eaten ! So keep feeding him and soon he will see you as a food God and come running when he sees you for food ! Humidity isn't a problem cause if you read about Russian care he needs humidity to insure no bumps on his shell . And diet we talk about in the Russian care is a lot of broad leaf weeds . I have about 9 Russians myself . Have a great tort day . And put up some Picts .

How many is "about" nine?

~ Justin

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Justin
I'm sorry about 9 but I was at work when I answered that post and I only have a few turtles and torts (I have leopards , Russians , Pancakes , Herrmans , Marginals , Egyptions , 3toed box turtles , Ornate box turtles , RES , Painted turtles , false map turtles , Giant river Cooters , Southern Painted turtles .and it was 1 AM . But you have a great tort day !

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm sorry I forgot my Greeks , and my AZDT's . Yes torts are like Lays chips cannt have just one .