Hello, desperate to learn soon to be tortoise owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

latenthippie

5 Year Member
Hi guys, I am VERY new to this! Firstly I am from the UK (I know this makes a difference with certain aspects of advice and care) and secondly I do not yet own a tortoise, but will be acquiring one very soon.

Here is my back story. My sister in law's ex husband had the bright idea of buying a baby tortoise for their 5 year old son and of course, having little choice in the matter, limited disposable income and no clue how to care for it, my sister in law is struggling. I have stepped in and agreed to take ownership of the tortoise as I have plenty of room for a sizeable habitat, a keen interest in animals (I have several pets) and enough money and time to ensure she is well looked after for what i hope will be a long and happy life! I have been reading up on tortoise ownership and stumbled across this forum which seems to be really informative and helpful!

I hope I'll be able to learn from you guys and give my new tortoise the best life I can. many thanks and I look forward to meeting you all.

x

latenthippie

5 Year Member
Hi! I'm honestly not too sure what breed of tortoise she is yet, she was just given to my 5 year old nephew as a "present" and the only information was that she is female (this still isn't certain either!) I have just this moment been told that she'll be arriving at my house on sunday. I'll get some good pictures of her so you guys might be able to help me with identification. (I have a couple, but they are not the best quality.)

I'm sure |I'll have LOTS of questions in the coming weeks / months and look forward to getting to know you all better! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi latenthippie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

I'll bet you're getting a Greek tortoise. Quite a few keepers in the U.K have them, and they do quite well outside during the nice weather.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

latenthippie

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi latenthippie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

I'll bet you're getting a Greek tortoise. Quite a few keepers in the U.K have them, and they do quite well outside during the nice weather.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Hi there, my name is Anthony. I am really looking forward to life with my tortoise! I'll be sure to post the pics as soon as she arrives.

Thanks everyone for the welcome messages!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome to the forum enjoy your visits
I am betting it is a hermann, they are even more popular than greeks, can't wait to see who is right.

latenthippie

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Welcome to the forum enjoy your visits
I am betting it is a hermann, they are even more popular than greeks, can't wait to see who is right.

I have a picture, but it isn't of the best quality, I'll try to add it here.

photostream

That may or may not work. Apologies in advance if it doesn't. And again, this is a poor quality picture.

I am off to work. I'll look forward to seeing if anyone has managed to identify her when I get home! Bye for now! :)

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 26

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, David...looks like we were both wrong.

Hi Anthony:

Your new friend is a Russian (Horsefield's) tortoise!!

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
well welcome to the forum and that is awsome of you to get that tortoise off of them nice and welcome:)

latenthippie

5 Year Member
Hello again everyone and again, thanks so much for your messages! I've been doing a tonne of research and had an inkling that he/she was a horsefields. I'm very excited, he/she is going to be arriving tomorrow from my sister in law's house! I've been looking at different habitats etc and think I've settled for one. I'll be looking for a thread on housing to raise questions about it's suitability. Look forward to your advice! There will be pictures to follow in the next day or two. Thanks again for your help everyone. Catch you soon. :)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
i live in uk...i own a redfoot tortoise....where abouts are you from im north west?
Also youve' definetly got a russian there xx

Status
Not open for further replies.