Hello, caring for our male Sulcata “Sully”, who is now 5yo and 38lbs

Lokimc

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
D2D97182-6ABF-4726-B38D-10A966CCD60C.jpeg 319119C5-DB8E-4C24-8768-47F86528A897.jpeg D2D97182-6ABF-4726-B38D-10A966CCD60C.jpeg 319119C5-DB8E-4C24-8768-47F86528A897.jpeg we live in a Chicago 1b/1 condo across from a park with organic grass and weeds. In the Winter we soak orchard grass and Timothy hay for him and chop it up; thankfully he doesn’t eat as much during the Winter! Sully has free reign of the House and his enclosure is a big cardboard box with a pig blanket and the requisite heat source and “sun porch” (aka uv light). He has a dog bed inside his box he sleeps in. He gets 1-2 baths/day because this is when he does his toileting; we recently had to add a the second bath later in the day because he was pooping on the floor in various areas. I take him out daily for 2 hours to graze and explore, except when the temp is too low or too high. He is a nice fellow but uninterested in any kind of play. We didn’t have the right light bulb when he was little, so he does have some pyramiding. He lived in a proper tortoise enclosures, other than the light, from hatchling to 3yo. We don’t have room for a big enclosure for him, hence his current set up. He has his own reptile- vet and is a super star at the clinic. Any suggestions for improving his habitats are welcomed!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum

It’s hard to recommend improvements to his indoor habitat since it is what it is - a 1b condo, not much room. There are tons of threads here about not letting torts free range in your house for lots of reasons. Good that you can him outside as much as you can, and soakings too.

Our Sully says hi!
1ED7F592-3B43-4082-BE89-71455CD5ED7D.png

Happy torting.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Wow. That's gonna be difficult to recommend indoor enclosure ideas given the space constraints you already have. A sully that size requires a LOT of room. Sorry... I have nothing offhand to recommend to you. :(

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Are you sure he is not a dog? LOL.....just joking. Kind of.

Welcome to you and Sully! No suggestions come to mind. He is beautiful.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Does that purple dog bed belong to another pet?

I'll be quite blunt. I don't believe you're doing that tortoise any favors by housing him or her in such conditions. Their shell shown in the pictures look mighty dry for one. If you are unable to provide basic care for your tortoise, and yes, a "comfortable" and "spacious" enclosure is a strong requirement, then I believe the best course of action is to re-home your tortoise.

Does your reptile-vet know that you're keeping your tortoise this way?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I actually had a very long response typed out a few hours ago during my lunch break, but my school has almost no cell reception and I was unable to send it.

Your tortoise is at a size where it should be living outside at all times. With a large heated shed and night box. Tortoises of every species and age should never, ever be allowed to roam a house. Ever.

Your tortoise should not be allowed to roam a public park, either. There is no way to tell what they spray there, what people throw there, what animals poop there, etc. Eating something poisonous could potentially be fatal.

I really hate to say it, but the best course of action would probably be to re home your tortoise to someone here.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
[QUOTE="I really hate to say it, but the best course of action would probably be to re home your tortoise to someone here.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't gonna say, but I sure was thinkin' it.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I think you are doing the best you can by him and compared to others I’ve seen, He looks pretty handsome. Many people in the US get this species and then throw them away.. they are already overpopulated and under cared for. Your tortoise doesn’t know anything but how you’ve raised him so I think if you are doing the best you can and are happy, he’s seems pretty healthy and happy, then carry on!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
You can help out the dry shell with a moisturizer.. all natural coconut oil, shell saver, etc..

Bambam1989

East Texas
I noticed that you commented on a separate thread that you have a son in Texas that was going to take him after he got 50lbs. May I ask, why wait? The tort would benefit greatly from having more space.

Denmark
Welcome not much information there could you give some more on him his conditions in terms of enclosure but still Welcome

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome not much information there could you give some more on him his conditions in terms of enclosure but still Welcome
Welcome to you too, William.
I think this tortoises "enclosure" is the owner's house. It's really not suitable for a tortoise, but he is obviously well loved - not that love will compensate him for the unsuitable dog-friendly housing conditions

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Welcome! Sounds like you spend a lot of time per day trying to provide for him with the soaks and park time. It's admirable. It's just unfortunate that you don't have the space to provide everything he needs. I hope the best for you and your Sully. If you have the option to give him to a family member who has a good outdoor space and you can still have him in your life that would be so great. Good luck!