Hello!!! Been away awhile!

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
Hello all my friends in Tortoiseland! I haven't been on in awhile. Tank and I weathered the winter ok. I hope everyone else's is going ok, ours is pretty much over but I know there's still lots of snow on the ground elsewhere.
I'll get right to it.
I am rescuing another Sulcata. Aaaaand it turns out that she's a female.
I know I'm gonna catch some flack for this, but I couldn't resist.
She is coming home today.
What is the best way for me to introduce them, after a quarantine period, and during the "quarantine" period what should I look for?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456843726.488511.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456843738.093983.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456843749.933318.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it were me and mine, I wouldn't put them together. I'd have two separate yards and only allow the male into the female's yard to breed, then take him out. But bear in mind, once a male has been with a female, he is no longer that sweet 'pet' tortoise you used to have. Now he'll spend his days marching the perimeter looking for ways to get out and find that female.

I feel the shortest quarantine period would be 3 months.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If kept together, the male may wear her out to the point of putting her health in danger. All he'll seek to do is mate, mate, and mate. That's why if you're gonna have a female for your male, it's best to have a couple more females so that one isn't abused. Also, like Yvonne said, if you're only having the one, keep the female separated from Tank and only let him in for mating only.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I plan to keep them separated and am not sure if they are compatible for breeding. He is at least 3x her size. How much does that matter?
She is separated but he saw her. I'm using his old enclosure for her. I just got her settled in it. He was up the yard and came over to see what was going on.....ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456849768.366595.jpg
The size comparison
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456849800.966316.jpg
Her yard
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456849827.727812.jpg
Her "hide/night" box
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1456849860.374266.jpg

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Also, the kid I got her from had her with males. He said, and I quote "she has laid 2 clutches this year, the last was about a month ago and he doesn't remember when the one before that was"..... Yeah. So.... If she did lay a month ago and has been with males this whole time, what are the chances she may already be gravid??