Hello and thank you

snivloc16

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello from Kansas. and thank you for letting me join. I’ve had my hermanns for almost 4 years now. He seems to be a very healthy guy. Just wanted to post a picture of my enclosure and see if anyone has any tips or concerns. I know it’s a little small for his age but unfortunately it’s all the bigger I can get because of space. He does have an outdoor enclosure ( it is 4x8) he goes in from mid May to mid October. Excited to learn more!!! IMG_1509633097.296076.jpgIMG_1509633136.603868.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome!

Yours is a pretty good set up, but I see a few problems that need fixin':
  1. That water dish is a no go. Its a flipping hazard. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best, and they are cheap.
  2. NEVER use those clamps that come with the lamps. They are not secure, they always fail eventually, and the result of failure could literally burn your whole house down. Hang the fixture from over head and remove the clamp entirely.
  3. Your substrate looks too dry. When it gets dry, it gets dusty and that is not good for your tortoise.
  4. I'd cover at least part of the top to hold in more heat and humidity.
  5. Those stick-on dial type thermometers and hygrometers are not reliable or accurate. Get a digital one from the hardware store.
  6. Put a flat rock or piece of slate under the heat lamp. It makes measuring basking temps easier and more accurate, it disperses the heat better, and it gives your tortoise some safe belly heat when it wants it.
  7. You already said this, but it bears emphasizing again because it is important for the long term health of your tortoise. That enclosure is too small. Its already too small and it will get worse as he grows. Your tortoise doesn't care about how much space is available. Your tortoise needs what it needs. Figure out a way to give it more space. Sacrifice some of your own space if need be. There is always a solution to this problem. This might not be what you wanted to hear, but its what you needed to hear.
Read this one for more tips:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

This one was typed up for russians, but care is the same:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

snivloc16

Kansas
Thanks for the advice Tom. Does it have to be the tera cota one? That is a plant saucer just a plastic one. And it is sunk down some. I use a digital thermometer too those others are more just for show. The substrate is usually more moist. I just had churned it up and hadn’t yet watered it. My warm end is constant 80-85. Basking spot 95-100. Cool end 70-75. Humidity usually 40-80%. Plus he has a little humid hide that’s always 80%.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The terracotta saucers are less steep and fractionally shallower. So, yes they are preferable to the plastic ones

snivloc16

Kansas
Ok. I’ll go get one. I guess I never noticed a difference

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the advice Tom. Does it have to be the tera cota one? That is a plant saucer just a plastic one. And it is sunk down some. I use a digital thermometer too those others are more just for show. The substrate is usually more moist. I just had churned it up and hadn’t yet watered it. My warm end is constant 80-85. Basking spot 95-100. Cool end 70-75. Humidity usually 40-80%. Plus he has a little humid hide that’s always 80%.

If your tortoise is comfortable with those bowls and uses them, then I think they are fine. My preference is for the terra cotta ones, but others can also work if they are similar in size and shape.

All your parameters sound good to me. :)