Hello and identification help

Maybelline

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson az
Hello this is my first time posting but I am a long time lurker. I once had a sulcata and have longed for a new friend. Well today someone just handed over a little fella to me and I'm not sure what species it is! They weren't much help and did not know what they were doing. Please help with identification so I can do right by her...

IMG_20201121_155612379.jpgIMG_20201121_155550859.jpgIMG_20201121_155529120.jpgIMG_20201121_155353313.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It takes some pretty wrong care to make a desert tortoise pyramid. This tortoise is lucky he found you!

Set him up indoors this winter and move him outside in the Spring.

He'll need a nice big enclosure with a radiant heat panel or ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat, and a good, bright UVB light.

I said a big enclosure because it's impossible to get a good temperature gradient, hot to warm to room temperature, in a small set up.

Covering the enclosure makes it easier to maintain the temperatures you're going for.

Maybelline

Tucson az
Thank you thank you thank you! Now I know where to start. I wonder if they plucked her from the wild. Yes her shell is awful. Gave her a good soak and vitamins when we got home. She had a uvb but only a bare light bulb for heat. No gauges at all. Off to do research!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Here's the care sheet for DT's. If there's anything you're not sure about, come back and ask.

I doubt that this tortoise came from the wild unless it was a tiny baby at the time. Pyramided torts happen in human care. In the wild they grow smooth.

Reactions: ISU

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Good luck with your new tortoise and ask questions on here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you thank you thank you! Now I know where to start. I wonder if they plucked her from the wild. Yes her shell is awful. Gave her a good soak and vitamins when we got home. She had a uvb but only a bare light bulb for heat. No gauges at all. Off to do research!
No, it's not wild caught. A wild caught desert tortoise NEVER has a shell like that.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Maybelline - despite the pyramiding, he/she looks quite beautiful - like a sculpture !

Maybelline

Tucson az
Thank you for all the responses. She has gone through 2 owners already. Both with really bad care. She is lethargic a bit to me. Gave her a electrolyte soak this morning and she has perked up a bit. Eating well.
The reason I thought she might of been taken as a hatchling is because they are illegal to breed and sell in AZ. I've never seen anyone have one that hasn't adopted from our state regulated agency.

Maybelline

Tucson az
Thank you for all the responses. She has gone through 2 owners already. Both with really bad care. She is lethargic a bit to me. Gave her a electrolyte soak this morning and she has perked up a bit. Eating well.
The reason I thought she might of been taken as a hatchling is because they are illegal to breed and sell in AZ. I've never seen anyone have one that hasn't adopted from our state regulated agency.
L

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was probably hard urates from being so dehydrated. Long warm soaks daily will aid.