Hello! And a question about scute appearance

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello :) I've been reading and learning a ton here since we adopted our two year old sulcata in March 2017. I've been meaning to say hi for a while now but just hadn't gotten around to it until now.

I noticed some white areas between Vlad's scutes recently and wanted to get a second opinion to see if I should be concerned, and what can be done.

Here's the most noticeable area:
full

But there appear to be other spots of lighter areas between the scutes:

full

I had recently installed a zoomed ceramic heat emitter with a Zilla thermostat to increase the temps in his enclosure, and I thought everything was set up properly. I was checking the temperatures and the basking area below the CHE was between 90-100 most times. I've been tweaking the distance/thermostat to try to keep the temperature correct. I just ordered a radiant heat panel from Reptile Basics based on @Tom's recommendation and plan to mount that above his enclosure as soon as it arrives to replace the CHE.

There are a few more pics here:

And here's an older pic from the beginning of October when he fell asleep during a soak for comparison:
full

He's currently in a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank with a mix of reptibark and organic garden soil. I have a Megaray 100W mercury vapor bulb for UVB. He's about 10 pounds right now. I know that his current enclosure isn't going to be large enough for much longer, so I'm starting to plan for building him a proper indoor enclosure of at least 8' x 16' in a spare room. We're in Southeastern Pennsylvania.

I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks. Thanks in advance!

Oh, and here's his little baby picture from when we brought him home last year:

full

Last edited:

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I think those are signs of growth. Anyone else feel free to correct me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like the new growth is coming in too dry. This happens here when I move them outside. Your lights are probably over-drying the carapace. More humidity and shell spraying should help. A warmer ambient, which should cause him to bask less often, will also help.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thanks, I was concerned that it didn't look right and want to stop any potential issues asap. I'll increase the humidity and soaking and try to get the ambient temperature higher. I'm hoping the RHP will help with that.

@TechnoCheese thanks! Although I doubt he'll ever be as clean as he was on the day we brought him home ever again

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
the heat panel from Reptile Basics arrived today. I went with the 120 watt version and mounted it to a 2x6 that spans the top of the enclosure. Waiting for it to heat up now. We'll see how Vlad likes it. :)

The Kane heat pad from Tortoise Supply is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so hopefully he'll be nice and comfortable soon. I'm keeping an eye on the growth line and I don't notice them getting any worse. We've been soaking him twice a day.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Woops, it turns out the package coming today is 25 pounds of Mazuri :D The heat pad has shipped though.

The RHP is about 18" above the substrate, but that doesn't seem to be close enough. I'll have to figure out a way to lower it.

Bixi

Memphis, Tn
Ya, i agree with the others. Just provide warm humidity when possible to keep the new growth from drying out. Pretty tortoise! Nice big guy.

Bixi

Memphis, Tn
That looks pretty good. Keep the mat separate from the lights so Vlad doesn't overheat. Torts will sleep while warm, and could potentially harm themselves. It looks like you have it set up well, though. Pretty sulcata. My tort gets so dirty from digging... she looks like a dustbunny, heh.