Hello all

Terri Snowden

Hello all

I have just inherited a Herman tortoise his name is Fred we think he is about 10 or so.

He has not had much handling so hisses everytime you pick him up starting to get better tho, as you can see in the picture Fred loves his baths, I would love any help and advice that could be given to help me and Fred along the way, thank you image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Terri, and welcome to the forum!

Terri Snowden

Hello, It's when you 1st go and pick him up he hisses at you, once you have him he just try's to get away, he will eat from you're hand so he does not hate all human contact I'd imagine

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
The hissing sound happens when they retract their head quickly into their shell. Let's air out. Just move slowly when you handle him, and off to the side a bit so he can see you coming. :)

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I've noticed my Torts don't like to be handled in general, but when I have to, they seem to move less when they feel a hand under their belly and one on top. I think torts feel uncertain when you hold them by their sides.

Flipper

MO, USA
Welcome and good luck with Fred! There are lots of good reading on this forum! :)

Terri Snowden

Oh I shall try that thanks, just out of interest what kind of habitat does everyone have ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403470106.125145.jpg that's what I have for him at the moment is that enough for him?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Terri welcome to the TFO fromAZ . Just stroke the Herman every time you feed it . Instinct tells them they are a bout to be eaten when grabed . But one they see you as the food God . Things will change . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403488273.950885.jpg and if you don't live in the North Pole get them outside :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum