Hello all!

TanktheTortoise3

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hello tortoise enthusiasts,
I am a beginner redfoot tortoise owner from the northeastern US. My redfoot’s name is Theo or Teddy and his is a baby that I have had for about 2 months. He has done very well since I got him and has eaten and drank everyday. I keep him in a 40 gallon tank and his temperatures range from about 70 degrees to 85 degrees throughout the day. His humidity stays between 65% and 75% each day as well. I just have a few questions.
1. Right now I use a Tekizoo Super Sun Reptile Lamp. I also just ordered a 60w ceramic heat emitter. I have read that bright basking lamps like mine should not be used and instead you should use fluorescent t8 tropical tube lights and CHEs, but I am not sure. If you could let me know what types of lights to use and maybe a brand as well that would be very helpful.
2. I feed Teddy mostly dark greens like dandelion, romaine lettuce, and collard greens, but I am wondering what else I should put in his diet. I have read that adults eat a lot of fruits, but is that different for babies? Also how much, if any, protein I should put in his diet. I have only fed him any food with protein once in mazuri tortoise pellets, but I am wondering if that is too much or not enough.
3. I noticed that whenever I watch him for long periods of time I realize that he frequently eats or tries to nibble on things that aren’t food. For example, a lot of times he nibbles at sticks, spagnum moss, or even his substrate. I am not too concerned about this, but just wondered if it is normal.
4. Lastly, I bought an Aloe Vera plant for his enclosure from Home Depot, but read sometimes they contain chemicals in them. I now grow my plants from non treated seeds, but wonder if I should no longer keep the store bought plant in his enclosure.

Thanks, Happy Redfoot Owner

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Welcome! Obviously you have done research, your tort is lucky to have you!

See if you can bump the humidity a smidge. Don't let it dip under 70% and see if you can achieve an ambient humidity in the 80s.

About food:

Babies can have fruit too. Aim for non-citrus tropical fruits and berries. You can also offer flowers like hibiscus. Cactus pads and mushrooms are fine too. Lean proteins are good for red foots, in the wild they will eat carcasses and little critters. Bugs, snails, fish/shrimp, poultry, and bits of high quality low fat dog/cat foods are fine. You can also offer boiled egg with the shell for both protein and calcium. You will hear differing opinions on how often to feed, but everyone agrees variety is good. So you can have one day a week you offer some fruit, one day you can offer protein, and then mix up a variety of greens/Mazuri on the other days.

Taste-testing and nipping around is normal for tortoises.

The plant is probably fine, but I would remove it myself. Jungle-y plants like pothos, bromeliads, and live hanging mosses are good plants for red foot enclosures. If you want to make something nice, there are places online that you can purchase organic plants specifically for reptile enclosures.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
We love to see pictures of torts and enclosures!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum

TanktheTortoise3

Pennsylvania
Sorry it has been a while since my last post because I have had a lot going on and done a lot of changes to my torts enclosure, but here are some pictures for anyone wondering of his enclosure and him eating and hiding:2575FC70-E10C-4E74-9D38-5638BFB3D835.jpegF0154463-F016-4129-8FB5-197A03D0EAAA.jpeg33E8B420-A018-417E-A289-BC6DE2F2349C.jpeg2C7443EC-5856-414A-8293-D7A6AA3CD158.jpeg

TanktheTortoise3

Pennsylvania
Thank you all for the welcome!

I also noticed that on the underbelly of Teddy’s she’ll there is some whiteish brown instead of the usual bright yellow. I heard that she’ll fungus is common in baby redfoots, so I just wanted to check. It might not be anything, but I just wanted someone’s opinion on what it is because I am a beginner owner and very protective. Here is a picture of it though it is a little blurry:73879BFB-8A3E-4FF1-A0B7-150C45F58BEF.jpeg

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thank you all for the welcome!

I also noticed that on the underbelly of Teddy’s she’ll there is some whiteish brown instead of the usual bright yellow. I heard that she’ll fungus is common in baby redfoots, so I just wanted to check. It might not be anything, but I just wanted someone’s opinion on what it is because I am a beginner owner and very protective. Here is a picture of it though it is a little blurry:View attachment 335737
Your little guy is so cute!! Did you know torts' lungs are below the top of their shells? Please find a different mode of taking a picture without putting him on his back like that, even if it was for only a few seconds.

TanktheTortoise3

Pennsylvania
Your little guy is so cute!! Did you know torts' lungs are below the top of their shells? Please find a different mode of taking a picture without putting him on his back like that, even if it was for only a few seconds.
Sorry, I didn’t know. I won’t do it again. Thanks for the info.