Hello All!!

Bieldesigns

Location (City and/or State)
Pelham
Hello everyone. We have had our tortoise for a few years. I have done tons of reading about how to take care of our russian. When we got him he was in a 10 gallon tank with bark substrate . He was constantly digging at the side. They gave him baths, but they would put him in a bucket full of water. The poor guy was so freaked out. We bathe him in just enough water so he can walk around. We also changed his substrate to coconut husk. We got him a larger enclosure and have been increasing the size as we are able to. He has stopped digging at the sides. He now knows his name and will look up at us when we say hi.
My only concern is when we do talk to him he is opening and closing his mouth. We have thoroughly enjoyed him and hope to have him a very long time.

20200416_085929.jpg20200407_185757.jpg20200402_135838.jpg

Bieldesigns

Pelham
Hello everyone. We have had our tortoise for a few years. I have done tons of reading about how to take care of our russian. When we got him he was in a 10 gallon tank with bark substrate . He was constantly digging at the side. They gave him baths, but they would put him in a bucket full of water. The poor guy was so freaked out. We bathe him in just enough water so he can walk around. We also changed his substrate to coconut husk. We got him a larger enclosure and have been increasing the size as we are able to. He has stopped digging at the sides. He now knows his name and will look up at us when we say hi.
My only concern is when we do talk to him he is opening and closing his mouth. We have thoroughly enjoyed him and hope to have him a very long time.
Also he does have lights! I just hadn't put them on the top before I took the picture

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome great looking tort. Can we see your UVB. It might be the wrong kind that are not effective and can hurt their eyes.

Bieldesigns

Pelham
Welcome great looking tort. Can we see your UVB. It might be the wrong kind that are not effective and can hurt their eyes.
Right now I've got both of these on. They both emit heat, and the blue bulb has UVB and heat. Its snowing outside so this helps keep the heat in his enclosure. When its warmer I only do the UVB day and the red at night.

Attachments

• 15872219435522133265007712408258.jpg
    15872219435522133265007712408258.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3