Hello all! heat and humidity help needed

Melissa N

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello,

My name is Melissa. This is my first post. However I am on here almost everyday getting advice from all of you experts. Thank you for sharing all the info that you have. It has been tremendously helpful! I have 3 Indian Star hatchlings. I know it is very important to get the heat and humidity right in their habitat. I have purchased a couple of thermometers and a hydrometer. However, I feel like they don't read properly. Then the hydrometer stopped working all together. Does anyone have any suggestions about which meters work best and are most accurate? I'm feeling very frustrated over here!

Melissa N

Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Alexio. Do you feel like they give accurate readings? The one that I have, that quit working after about 2 days, was almost identical to the acurite.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I really like the vavarium electronic one I feel as though they always give me good readings. The acurites i like for their wireless temperature sensor. Alot of the acurite and other brands that sell the dual hydo thermo combo are intending for you to use them "indoors" which I have found to mean inside a house not inside of an enclosure. So if you go with the acurite I'd recommend spending the extra for the wireless combo which is designed to be left "outside" in the harsher elements. I too have had the cheaper acurite combos fail to hold up in extreme heat and humidity situations. I also believe it is the sensor in the smaller indoor models that is the problem when it becomes to moist due to direct water contact or extreme 90+ humidity.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I use acurite and vivarium electronics and think both are good brands and multiple units appear consistent with each other for temperature and (initially) relative humidity. The acurite humidity sensors do seem to start failing at some point and when they stop being reliable isn't always predictable. Anything with a probe in the spot you want but the electronics outside is preferable in my books.

Melissa N

Pittsburgh, PA
I use acurite and vivarium electronics and think both are good brands and multiple units appear consistent with each other for temperature and (initially) relative humidity. The acurite humidity sensors do seem to start failing at some point and when they stop being reliable isn't always predictable. Anything with a probe in the spot you want but the electronics outside is preferable in my books.

Thanks SarahChelonoidis and TortoiseWarrior!