Hello, a new member in Atlanta

Charlie's pal

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA
Hello to all the members of the Tortoise Forum! My name is Beth and I live in Atlanta, GA. I have been visiting the site since September when I purchased "Charlie", a Hermann's Tortoise from Petsmart. I know after looking at the forum it was a less than ideal place to buy a tortoise but I saw him every time I went to the store to purchase supplies for my other pets. He was always frantically scratching at the glass aquarium so I had to bust him out of there. The store employees said he is around five years old but I am uncertain of that. They also had a lot of misinformation on diet, etc. I found a good exotic vet in the area and he was given a clean bill of health. I will post pictures soon. Thank you to you all for sharing your knowledge with beginners. Between this forum and the book, "Naturalistic Keeping and Breeding of Hermann's Tortoises", I think I am off to a good start. I find it interesting to think that having Charlie is as close as I can get to keeping a dinosaur!! Amazing creatures.

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
Welcome! Good for you for rescuing Charlie! Please share pictures of your little one with us, we would love to see him. Be sure to check the Hermann's species section for neat info about them. Congrats on getting a tiny dinosaur!

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you are off on the right track!

Often pet stores sell wild caught specimens, as opposed to captive bred, so any age estimate they gave you would likely be nothing more than a guess. Often people are told that they are babies because pet stores usually sell smaller species and the clerks don't know better. You are probably safe in assuming he is a full grown adult tortoise however!

Look forward to seeing pictures of the little guy and his enclosure set up! Let us know if you have any questions!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Welcome from a neighbor in Gwinnett county.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Cute tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
You have found the best place for up to date information on tort keeping around. There is a caresheet for Hermanns which will give you lots of valuable information; this is also a great help in avoiding problems experienced by others http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods.
There's lots to read but always someone here to answer any questions and point you in the right direction. If you can post pics of your enclosure then you'll get feedback to make sure your tort has a safe and happy home - we've all had to tweak things when we start.

Charlie's pal

Atlanta, GA
Hi and welcome.
You have found the best place for up to date information on tort keeping around. There is a caresheet for Hermanns which will give you lots of valuable information; this is also a great help in avoiding problems experienced by others http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a good guide to tort safe foods.
There's lots to read but always someone here to answer any questions and point you in the right direction. If you can post pics of your enclosure then you'll get feedback to make sure your tort has a safe and happy home - we've all had to tweak things when we start.
Hi Lyn W,
I really appreciate your post. I have referred to the Tortoise Table many times in my search for weeds to feed Charlie and I am trying to grow a lot of the plants (pansies, mint, etc and clover and broad leaf weeds from a seed mixture I bought from Tortoise Supply). The care sheet and "Beginner Mistakes" helped me correct some advice I was given at the pet store. I am trying to read as many posts as possible so that I don't duplicate a question. This is such an interesting forum and I am grateful to all the experienced keepers who share their wisdom.

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Yay another tort who will have a proper life! Good for you and welcome. Pet stores often get Greeks and Herman's mixed up, have you identified your little guy yourself since you got him? He looks like a Herman's to me at first glance too tho!

Charlie's pal

Atlanta, GA
Yay another tort who will have a proper life! Good for you and welcome. Pet stores often get Greeks and Herman's mixed up, have you identified your little guy yourself since you got him? He looks like a Herman's to me at first glance too tho!
That is the only picture I have posted of him. I probably should post more and ask people on the forum what they think. Just based on what I have learned here and the website Hermanni Haven, I think he is a male Hermann's tortoise.

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Hes a beauty! I have a greek that looks a lot like a Herman's, in that his back scutes are quite flared, his shell isnt very domed, and he is more black and brown than golden. In addition, his belly colors were a bit confusing too (not two lines a la Herman's, but not really blotchy either. The easiest dead giveaway imo is the spurs on the back of the thighs of a greek, which the Herman's wont have, vs a spiney barb at the til of the tail, which the greek doesn't have. Herman's are sometimes referred to as " mederterainien spur tailed tortoise, whereas the Greeks are referred to as "mederterainien spur thighed tortoise". Care for both is very similar in any case, subspecies aside. ? attached is my lazy greek Hènri . Pretty similar!

Attachments

• 20190608_164816.jpg
    20190608_164816.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi Toddrickfl1,
Since you are in the Atlanta area, could you tell me which vet you use for your tortoise?
Thank you,
Beth
I've not had to take a tortoise to the Vet yet but if you don't mind the drive I've taken water turtles to the University of GA Veterinary school.

Charlie's pal

Atlanta, GA

Charlie's pal

Atlanta, GA
Hes a beauty! I have a greek that looks a lot like a Herman's, in that his back scutes are quite flared, his shell isnt very domed, and he is more black and brown than golden. In addition, his belly colors were a bit confusing too (not two lines a la Herman's, but not really blotchy either. The easiest dead giveaway imo is the spurs on the back of the thighs of a greek, which the Herman's wont have, vs a spiney barb at the til of the tail, which the greek doesn't have. Herman's are sometimes referred to as " mederterainien spur tailed tortoise, whereas the Greeks are referred to as "mederterainien spur thighed tortoise". Care for both is very similar in any case, subspecies aside. ? attached is my lazy greek Hènri . Pretty similar!
Henri is a good looking guy! Charlie is tucked in for the night but I am going to take your suggestion and look at his tail and thigh in the morning.