Hellllp (sulcata small for age??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kycatfishing90210

5 Year Member
My sulcata tortoise is 4 years old.... But the problem is that e is oly 5 inches and 7 ounces.... His first couple years he was kinda neglected.... But this last year he has a nice outdoor enclosure tht is pretty good size.. With plenty of natural clovers and grass with a big water diss and a place where he has shade and a hole with a log on top so he can burrow... He also looks in nice condition with no pyramiding.. So my questions are... Why is he so small.... Can it be fixed with a now improved life and diet.... Is it too late?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Hellllp

Now that he is outside and being taken care of better you are probably going to see an accelerated growth. I'd like to see a picture of him.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Hellllp

Can we see some pics. Get a fecal test it's dirt cheap, he may have parasites

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

Nice enclosure but I noticed there isnt any hiding places or shady areas.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Hellllp

He may just be a slow grower take some poop to a vet to get him checked for parasites it's very common and very cheap to treat.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria

he looks OK and his enclosure looks fine, but I have a few questions: first off, are you sure he how old you say he is, and secondly, how was being cared for before you got him? (food, housing, ect...)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

There can be many causes for a stunted tortoise. Most likely he was started with the "dry" routine and he's one of the lucky ones who survived it.

His less than optimal earlier care is a possible culprit too.

Wrong diet? Not enough food?

And yes he is pyramided. It's not bad because he hasn't grown a lot. This is a pretty good indicator that he was housed too dry and likely dehydrated. Just having a water bowl isn't enough. Many times, and for a variety of reasons, they simply won't use the water bowl. This is why I advocate regular soaks.

Last thing: He needs more shade out there. I make 4x8' planter boxes on legs for this. A picnic table or something like that would work too. It's got to be something up off the ground. Think umbrella...

Kycatfishing90210

5 Year Member
Moved: Hellllp

He's owner said he was just put in a house that was 74 degrees at al time he was just given spinach and roman lettuce and was outside 2 times a week for about an hour.... Does he still have hope?

And he wasn't bought by ordinal owner late 2009 in the fall

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Hellllp

He should be just fine. From what I've researched they grow very slow in the wild anyways.

Lannen

5 Year Member
Cute little guy... put a nice pile of sticks and twigs and such out there. You will find he loves to hide in there and it gives him a little more shade.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: Moved: Hellllp

Kycatfishing90210 said:
He's owner said he was just put in a house that was 74 degrees at al time he was just given spinach and roman lettuce and was outside 2 times a week for about an hour.... Does he still have hope?

And he wasn't bought by ordinal owner late 2009 in the fall

Absolutely there is hope. He would have died a long time ago if he wasn't going to make it. Feed him right, keep him hydrated, give him the right temps, and he should be just fine.

Lannen said:
Cute little guy... put a nice pile of sticks and twigs and such out there. You will find he loves to hide in there and it gives him a little more shade.

This is a good tip! :)

krh11b23 said:
He should be just fine. From what I've researched they grow very slow in the wild anyways.

I mean you no insult, and I believe that you HAVE read that, but the truth of the matter is that most Sulcata books are based on incorrect assumptions, and much of the info contained within them is wrong. The above mentioned "slow growth" is one example. The truth is that no one in the whole world knows what wild sulcata babies do. In truth almost none has even been seen in the wild, much less studied. We do know that they hatch at the start of the rainy season. Conditions are hot, wet, humid and marshy. Within two weeks of the rains coming the underbrush is so thick that you couldn't see a sulcata baby if it were right next to you. This info comes directly from my friend Tomas who lives in Senegal and has studied wild sulcatas in the wild for decades.

Here in captivity, when I duplicate, or rather attempt to simulate these African rainy season condition with warm temps, frequent soaks, high humidity and abundant food, they do NOT grow slowly. We do have studies from some of the Testudo species and those DO appear to grow slower in the wild than they typically do in captivity. I speculate that this is due to the seasonally cool temps, cool nights, and hibernation periods that sulcatas do NOT experience.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
that little guy in the very open enclosure, probably not only feels very exposed, but is at risk to predators and may be hiding more then out and eating..
but yes, there is hope..

Kycatfishing90210

5 Year Member
Moved: Hellllp

And he has been Roaming more than eating ... Will he just hot a big growth spurt in the next couple months?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if he is roaming more then eating,, then he feels to vulnerable out there in the big world. He needs to feel secure. Give him time.. and plenty of places to hide..

mikeh

5 Year Member
Laura said:
if he is roaming more then eating,, then he feels to vulnerable out there in the big world. He needs to feel secure. Give him time.. and plenty of places to hide..

Nice space but In addition to shade, make sure he can't climb over the walls of enclosure or dig under if he is a digger or you may not see him again. If the walls are low and inviting to climb he may also flip himself over, if he can't correct himself in a strong direct sunlight he may cook. Someone had a good point about predators, racoons skunks even some wicked crows working in packs and such. But yes, under proper conditions he should now grow normal.

Laura said:

Sulcatas love to roam and patrol the perimeter of the pen, but yes Laura is right, add places to hide, and shade.
Get few big planters and sink them on the side half way deep for hiding. Plant some bushes or outdoor plants in larger planters.

Status
Not open for further replies.