Heat Stroke

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If it is 90 degrees, on concrete and in direct sun? And the tort was already pretty cool from being inside? Sorry for such a vague question.
A few minutes would cook their brain in that situation.

I would never put a tortoise in direct sun with no shade. You need an outdoor enclosure that offers sun AND shade, and the shade needs to be from high over head like a tree, umbrella or awning, not from a board laid on top of the tub. We say "sun" out tortoises, but what that really means if you explain it in more detail is: "Put them in a safe secure outdoor enclosure that offers the correct amount of shade and sunny areas and the correct temperures depending on the time of year. More shade in summer, less shade in winter. Always check the temperatures early and often." We are offering access to sun, not full sun with no way to escape it.

Crush da Baum

Location (City and/or State)
Brooksville
A few minutes would cook their brain in that situation.

I would never put a tortoise in direct sun with no shade. You need an outdoor enclosure that offers sun AND shade, and the shade needs to be from high over head like a tree, umbrella or awning, not from a board laid on top of the tub. We say "sun" out tortoises, but what that really means if you explain it in more detail is: "Put them in a safe secure outdoor enclosure that offers the correct amount of shade and sunny areas and the correct temperures depending on the time of year. More shade in summer, less shade in winter. Always check the temperatures early and often." We are offering access to sun, not full sun with no way to escape it.
I do have an outdoor and enclosure that is 30 by 10 foot with adequate shade and sun but my sister’s tort will constantly try to eat dirt and sand even with the mulch on top of it. I do not know what to do with him.