Heat Questions for Alices Condo in Pa Winters

waretrop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE Pa. Zone 5
We are going into the 3rd winter with Little Alice. I have moved very slowly learning what is best for us as I go. She will not be in the kitchen this winter. She will be in a greenhouse heated with a monitor kerosene heater. She will have her old metal box with curtain on wheels out there.

Alice in box for size.jpg

This box is about 22 X 24 inches.
Here is the inside of the greenhouse and also the outside.
alices greenhouse1.jpg
alices greenhouse.jpg
So if you look at the last pic the tin roof on the left in the pic you will see her condo.

The condo is second hand. It's 4 X 8. It has all kind of things in it. A place for an oil filled radiator, it has it's own breaker box, timer, and electric plugs. I can do allot with this condo this winter. I will put insulation under the entire floor board before winter comes. It has a wooden door to close at night. I can get into it to clean it and play with her.
alice condo1.jpg
There has been and will be quarter inch think plexiglass in the upper parts. I just took them off to paint it. They will go back on after it dries out from our rain. They are silicone and screwed in. It will be totally waterproofed.

alices condo fixtures1.jpg
alices condo fixtures2.jpg

I wanted to add Kane or Stanfield Mats in the metal box in the greenhouse and at least 1 in the condo. I am having trouble finding a small one for the metal box. I would like to also figure out if I would need one with a rheostate. This is all to confusing for me...I can get an electricians help if I need a rheostate installed. That may be cheaper.

Does anyone have advice so I don't waste money getting to the end result.

I am in north eastern Pa. where it gets very cold. I expect Little Alice will spend time in the grass area, and condo in day and go back into the greenhouse to sleep in her metal box at night. That's what she has done all summer ...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Kane makes an 18x18" mat. Run it with a reptile thermostat that you can buy for about $30. You don't need a rheostat.