Heat mats and damp coco coir

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Can I use a heat mat under 2-3 inches of moistened coco coir? On top of this I have 2 inches of sphagnum moss.

Is there a fire hazard? Is it safe to use with moistened substrate? Under the substrate is a plastic coating and then the enclosure is wood.

My leo doesnt ever dig all the way to the bottom. The way the enclosure is set up (now) means I can no longer use a CHE as it burns the plastic off the roof of the enclosure (the plastic is a wood sealant as I keep 80% humidity).

I dont know any other way i can keep this end warm now. Any suggestions or advice you could give me?

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Look up big apple heat ropes. I don't use them but when I was going to this is what some of the forum members recommended.

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I know they make them waterproof. They have heating coils as well that are waterproof. May want to do a google search on it. Josh's frogs here in michigan I think carry some.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I'll have a search for heat ropes, I've never heard of them before. Just had the thought of attaching it to the roof actually, its probably safer. Then when the humidity rises, the mat can heat it up and keep the air warm. I think this is a better option.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
These are waterproof (unlike some other brands that are only water resistant). You want to use them with a thermostat, which has a probe that you position near (not touching) the heat rope.
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes

You can attach them in long loops to galvanized hardware cloth, or plastic fencing with zip ties. Make sure the thermostat probe is positioned. Then flip the whole thing over and cover with substrate.

They should only cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the base, so the tortoise can move on and off. You can pour water right into the substrate with these.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I am not sure about the heat ropes, but if you wrap the edges of the hole in tin foil it should prevent it from burning the plastic. I cut holes in the top of plastic totes and then wrap the edges with the foil so it covers it entirely and extends out about 3 inches from the hole on top and bottom side of the cover, then I use duct tape or gorilla tape to secure the foil in place and square it off so it looks decent. I put the dome over it so the edge of the dome is resting on foil only and the CHE is over the opening. I haven't had any melting issues.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Tin foil would work on the bottom of the enclosure first, under the heat rope/wire combination. However, if you have them on a thermostat with probe, then you can set the temps not to get too hot. They are more 'very warm', than 'burning hot', from my experience.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Thanks for the ideas! I could just use my CHE and exchange the plastic for tin foil. Couldn't I? Does Tin foil not burn? Its a 75 watt CHE. The only trouble with the CHE is it hangs low and he's getting big enough to reach it now.

Does anybody have any thoughts on sticking a heat mat to the roof of the enclosure? he can't reach the roof. I've found one the perfect size and its 7watts. I've read that mats heat up objects and not the air? This seems perfect as I want the moss to be warm and snuggly. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.