georgietort

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Hi all,

I am not new to the tortoise world as I owned a sulcata and a redfoot in the past (though not at the same time). I rehomed my sulcata about a year after acquiring it back in 2010 because I was one of those who purchased on a whim without realizing how big it will get. I am from NYC and lived in an apartment. Afterwards, about a year later, I acquired a redfoot only to rehome it as well four years later. As you can tell, my lack of living space and wrong decisions got the worst of me as a tort owner. Though I feel ashamed of having been an unsuccessful tort owner in the past, I never gave up the thought (dream) of being a proud tortoise owner someday. And that someday has come.

Last year I moved to PA to a house in the country with about 3 acres of yard space. This time I am resolved to be a 'proud' owner of a tortoise. As far as living space, I guess half of my problems are resolved. Now, my three favorites have always been sulcata, redfoot and leo. All these years from the time I rehomed my previous torts to now, I have done extensive research on tortoise husbandry and thought I'd acquire a tortoise I have not yet owned...a leopard tortoise. And I just acquired a hatching.

That was my "brief intro". Now on with the questions, at least two for now. I used to house my previous two torts in a large/long underbed storage container (36"L x 16"W x 6½"H). This time, upon reading and catching up on new information that has surfaced, I intend to keep my new baby in high humidity and nice and warm. He is currently housed in a large closed terrarium/aquarium with light and heat source: 80W ZooMed's Powersun bulb & 100W Zilla's Night Black Heat bulb. They are on dimmers so I can control heat and light. For humidity's sake, I've placed dampened sphagnum moss over coconut coir (Eco Earth), both amounting to about 3 inches high. My two questions are:

1) From the photos I have attached here, how is my set-up?
2) Is the heat source better placed on the inside of the tank (at the top) or better placed under the tank to heat up from the bottom? (I've tried both ways and the humidity is relatively the same (appx 80% at wherever the heat source is coming from). Heat is always 90°-95°F on one end and 80°F on the other side (I guess in the middle should be about 85°F). At night the heat around the baby's hide is appx 85°F; humidity level is about 80%.

Thank you all in advance for your insightful comments and advice.

-- George

Attachments

• Baby 3.jpg
    Baby 3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Baby's Set-up 1.jpg
    Baby's Set-up 1.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Baby's Set-up 2.jpg
    Baby's Set-up 2.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Baby's Set-up 3.jpg
    Baby's Set-up 3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

A few tips:
  • They will eat the moss and it can cause impaction. Not a suitable substrate. Fine grade orchid bark works best.
  • Heat should come from over head for baby tortoises.
  • The powersun is going to cause pyramiding. Best to use lower wattage flood bulbs for basking and HO tubes for UV and light.
  • Is the night heat a Blacklight incandescent bulb or a CHE. I wouldn't use a dimmer. I'd use a thermostat
All this and more is explained better here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

georgietort

Pennsylvania
Hello and welcome.

A few tips:
  • They will eat the moss and it can cause impaction. Not a suitable substrate. Fine grade orchid bark works best.
  • Heat should come from over head for baby tortoises.
  • The powersun is going to cause pyramiding. Best to use lower wattage flood bulbs for basking and HO tubes for UV and light.
  • Is the night heat a Blacklight incandescent bulb or a CHE. I wouldn't use a dimmer. I'd use a thermostat
All this and more is explained better here:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
Thanks, Tom. I've read those links already but never hurts to read them again. The mistakes beginners make fits me well about 10 years ago. However, it is never a mistake to learn from those mistakes, which I had quite a few back then. I will change the Powersun bulb to a lower wattage flood bulb. Wow, it cost me over $50. Hopefully I can resell it on eBay ;).

As far as my night heat source, it is a Night Blacklight incandescent bulb 100W by Zilla. I aim it from the bottom straight up to the glass floor right under the hide so warm moist air can rise thus filling the hide and overall the tank upward with humidity. I touch the glass floor section under the hide once in a while and feels quite warm all the time. So, are you advising against it? By placing the blacklight overhead, will heat travel downward from the top? Thanks again for any insights.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, n good luck.

I believe what Tom is saying and advocates is to entirely ditch the black light as a heat source, and get yourself a CHE hooked up to a thermostat.

From the info:

Heating and Lighting:
Use a 65 watt incandescent flood bulb on a 12 hour timer and adjust the height of the fixture to get a hot spot of around 100 directly under the bulb. Then use a ceramic heating element set to 80 degrees on a reptile thermostat to maintain my ambient temperature in the enclosure. Sometimes the basking lamp raises the day time ambient into the low 90s. "Ambient should be no lower than 80, but drifting up to 90 during the heat of the day is good…" This is fine and the thermostat will keep your CHE off during these times, but ready to click on after the basking lamp clicks off and the ambient temperature starts to drop at night. I use long florescent tubes when I want to brighten up the whole enclosure and I run these on the same timer as the basking bulb. The above are just what works for me and are suggestions for what might work for you. Every enclosure and home is different, and some customization will usually be necessary to get things "just right".

Good Luck, enjoy your acres in Pa.