Heat Emitter Questions

baileypete

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I've been looking into getting a ceramic heat emitter for my baby leopard tortoise.. but I have some questions. My first one is what fixture do you use? I've seen those cage ones, but is that the only type of fixture you can use?
My second question is what wattage should I get? My tortoises enclosure is 36" x 24". The temp at night is anywhere from 70⁰ to 75⁰. He also has a shower curtain over his enclosure to keep in heat and humidity.

Any help is appreciated :)

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
The fixture will need a ceramic socket to withstand the heat.. i have the cage style and just cut it off with a pair of snips. As far as wattage goes.. ur gonna need to have it on a thermostat set for ur temps so u can go with anything really. But 100 watt would be more than enough

baileypete

Minnesota
The fixture will need a ceramic socket to withstand the heat.. i have the cage style and just cut it off with a pair of snips. As far as wattage goes.. ur gonna need to have it on a thermostat set for ur temps so u can go with anything really. But 100 watt would be more than enough
Do you have any recommendations for a thermostat?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have always used ceramic fitting with a wide dome for mine, but that was for use in an adapted room so a bigger space for my leopard and may not be suitable for your set up.
If you post some pics of the enclosure it will give members a better idea of the space you have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been looking into getting a ceramic heat emitter for my baby leopard tortoise.. but I have some questions. My first one is what fixture do you use? I've seen those cage ones, but is that the only type of fixture you can use?
My second question is what wattage should I get? My tortoises enclosure is 36" x 24". The temp at night is anywhere from 70⁰ to 75⁰. He also has a shower curtain over his enclosure to keep in heat and humidity.

Any help is appreciated :)
Night temp should never drop below 80.

A 100 watt CHE will probably work, but only your thermometer can answer that.

Get a fixture from Home Depot. Only buy the ceramic based ones. They are around $13. Hang it from over head. Do not use the clamp. I remove the clamps and discard them. You also don't need the little cage thingies either. Just don't use them.