Heat/Cool ExoTerra Incubator Reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
I am getting into the time of year where some species I have require diapause. Its always hard in Texas to diapause during the summer. So I was looking into this incubator. Does anyone have experience with it? Does it actually cool/heat properly? Most of these are just little fridges with an added t-stat that usually never works. So before I get a few of them just seeing if anyone can steer me better or say go for it.

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/incubator.php

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Kelly-

There was a recall on these the first year they came out, Hagen took them off the market, made adjustments and now offer the revised model. If you want to make sure you get the new ones email me I will give you a bulk price on these direct from fresh Hagen stock. We're a dealer so it would also come with full warranty. I would advise only buying these from a dealer so you will have a warranty either way not on eBay or similar style places where you will be SOL if there is a warranty issue.

Other options would be getting a wine cooler to cool in and then a normal incubator for heating.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks John. Great to know. Yeah when I had pyxis i used wine coolers for their eggs. But they would give few eggs tops. Im dealing with more than a few this time. I will for sure email you on these. Do they work good though?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app

I guess more detailed question is. Does the T stat variably go from 65 to whatever degree i put it at without a huge spike. I think a slow climb in degree over a 3-5 day period rather than just taking them out of cool and placing them to heat. I think this method works better when diapause is used.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
I got one when they first came out just to puttz around with and they do heat and cool. My use was not for tortoise eggs, so cant comment on that aspect with these. I'm sure nothing is perfect, but mine is still kicking.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Yes you can adjust the temps right on the LED screen at any time one degree at a time. I did talk to my rep and he said none have been returned since the new 2013 model re work.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Fantastic. July I will be getting a few from you. I went to your site and it was down for maintenance.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Kelly, John is exactly correct.We had one crap out in 5 months. Buy a used wine chiller on craig's list for 75 bucks and use it to chill down the eggs. then get a good incubator (Nature's spirit) or make your own.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thats how I have been doing it all these years. I dont have my pyxis anymore but a bunch of hingebacks and southern local pancakes. As well as the chacos requiring diapause. It just seemed like a good easy method to use in one package.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Oops, the link on this profile is old thanks for letting me know I updated it. These won't be on the site just yet, I have to enter them and tons of other stuff still. Lots of data entry, its no fun haha. How many did you want? Email me and I'll price you out on these or anything else you want in bulk to pick up.

Evan, yup the model prior to 2013 had flaws many were returned so they took them off the market. If you have it still you should be able to send it back to them for a replacement if you have a receipt from a dealer. Or you can pick up one too, and see the rads? Haha

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
John: I sent it back. No problem getting a refund. They were really good about it. I'm building another incubator out of a wine chiller. Turned off the chilling cycle and lined the inside with heat tape and hooked up a Herpstat thermostat and should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.