Heat cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeansie1988

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, ON
Hi all,

So my husband is going to start building my red foot enclosure this evening. Right now he is living in a large bin. The enclosure as i have mentioned in other threads is going to be 6ft long by 2 ft wide by 3 ft tall.
I am going to set up like this:
On the cool end i am going to have a plastic bin with a lid (i have seen this in someones's post to keep in the humidity, going to add spaghman moss to it), i was thinking.... heat cables under the substrate?
The hot end i have a t8 uvb light that will go lengthwise. I also have an infra red light (75 wat) there. Now i have heard alot on the forums about the ceramic heaters... well i will change once this one dies out as i just bought it and can't return it.

Now i have probably a couple of questions and once the enclosure is made i will post pictures of it so everyone can make comments....
However my questions are:

1. Has anyone used this pro series heat cable? I have 4.5 m and it's 25wats? do i put it in the cool end under the substrate? do they last long?

2. On the hot end of the enclosure, i have my uvb light and my infra red.... should i just be using this infra red at night if the temps get below 70? I have a 100wat light one but i am not sure if this is too bright for the tortoise?

* I have read about the mercury bulbs but i wasn't really interested in them at this point.

Any ideas to help this lost soul? lol
Much appreciated!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi..

I would not place a humid hide in a cool location (cool and wet can lead to problems)....now if you are going to have a cool dry end then a hide is great for their sense of security.

If you want to make a humid hide, I would strive for constantly warm and humid...this would be a good place to have heating cables under the substrate (make sure your substrate is no less than 4 inches and preferably closer to 5 or 6).

I have not used a Ceramic Het Emitter, but have and do use the black heat lights...so either is good. Either is good for night hear source as well....if you are going to run a warm humid enclosure as a whole then you will want to make certain that your temp never drops below 80 not even in the night hours...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
What she said.

And... the pro series heat cables are water resistent only.
Look at the Big Apple Herp cables. They are water proof. Must be used with a thermostat, but they are wonderful. You can zip tie them to plastic (garden) wire or galvanized wire mesh, place on the bottom, and cover with your substrate.
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes
I like the substrate that they sell; very reliable.
Under substrate cables really keep the humidity up if you keep the substrate moist.

What about a 25w (or so) bulb over the hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.