heat bill from uvb lights??!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt581

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jackson MI
Ok are heat bill has hit the roof how often should the uvb lights be on? Is anyone else bill sky high???!!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The UVB lights won't make it go up that much. The heat lamps will more likely cause that. I have to say though, that in almost 20 years of reptilekeeping they haven't made my bill "sky high". A little higher maybe, but not sky high.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have two MVB's and my electric bill is around $95.00. However that is not much more than the normal when I only had one bulb. But I have also switched to a cheaper electric comp. My Xmas bill is even higher around $120.00 I figure if I stay around the Xmas bill or lower, I am good to go. Heck, I'm $25.00 under budget, I could add a few more heat seeking animals :p:D

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I have Only One Tort and Cannot tell The Difference Except in Winter were i usually run a heat and mvb,
instead of just my Mvb!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You can usually borrow a 'watt meter' from the library or the power company that you plug things into and it tells you how much power they are using and how much it will cost you.

Fluorescent UV is not very expensive, but heat cables, heat bulbs, etc. might be, especially if they are running all the time.

There are tricks to cut back on heating, such as insulating, trapping the rising warm air, etc. that can keep the heaters from going all the time.

As for as how long I run MY uvb? About 6 hours a day.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Using 1 100w MVB for 12 hr/day and 1 100w CHE that is always on, should be $10 - $25. Most places will be towards the lower end, only a few exceed $20 (based on average rates). This is also not accounting for any use of a thermostat/dimmer controlling the CHE or other factors (power loss), but it will give you a ballpark idea.

The formula is:

Hours (total for month) x wattage / 1000 = kWh and then
kWh x price per kWh= cost of electricity

So for a 100w lamp on 12 hrs/day for 30 days it would be (using average rate of $.12):

(12 x 30) x 100 / 1000 = 36 x .12 = $4.32

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
If the winter is cold down here I can pay up to 1500 a month. Summer time they go outside. But like now when it's kinda cool at night still my buildings are only using 110 a month worth of electricity. That includes 2 fridges for greens and food and around 30 lights. The buildings are on its own meter too. UVB bulbs don't use that much wattage could be usage of fans or ac since its starting to get warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Frankly I'm surprised that no one else complains about this. CA rates are sky high and every little bit is "felt" on the bill here. This is a big reason I use small wattage bulbs and just keep them closer to the tortoises.

Also the reason I went solar...

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Most of the appliances in our house are "energy efficient" however, our electric bill is $110 a month with central air. Since I live in PA, central air isn't always necessary :) this year, due to the mild winter, our heating bill was $35 per month. This month, we owed -$6.08. No matter what the electric bill is, the torts are worth it! And so is the incubator :)

Cadance

5 Year Member
Our bill did not go up that much and we have 3 heat lamps and 3 uvbs running about 12 hours a day. I am not sure why yours would have gone up so much. Ours is around 79.00 which is just a little higher then what we normally pay. However I am sure this months bill will be a lot higher because we know have our swamp cooler running so I am hoping it doesn't go to high gotta love bills...

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
You all would not want to see my electric bill i have a load of lights running for more than 12hrs a day as i have a HUGE indoor winter grow room for all the diffrent plants i grow that i bring in from the GH's for the winter months since heating the GH's durring winter here is not a option for me right now. Most the plants are getting moved out next weekend to the GH's after that then my electric bill will finaly go down some.. Our tort's lights are nothin compared to the plant lights i use.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
wellington said:
I have two MVB's and my electric bill is around $95.00. However that is not much more than the normal when I only had one bulb. But I have also switched to a cheaper electric comp. My Xmas bill is even higher around $120.00 I figure if I stay around the Xmas bill or lower, I am good to go. Heck, I'm $25.00 under budget, I could add a few more heat seeking animals :p:D

There's the spirit ! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.