Heartbroken

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Almost 3 years ago my sister sent me two 6 year old tortoises that were the size of 50 cent pieces and they had no beaks. Obviously they hadn't had the proper husbandry, 6 years old and the size of hatchlings.
The smaller one died in a few months but the bigger one ate good and flourished. He was a sweet clown and I adored him.
Yesterday morning he ate a normal breakfast but he didn't come out to eat last night but that was no biggie. He picked at breakfast this morning but still nothing unusual. Just now I saw him come out of his hide with his mouth open and arching his head back towards his carapace. As I watched he did that numerous times. I looked in his mouth, it looks normal nothing stuck in it and a good color. So I have been holding him and I think he is dead as I type this. I think he has died right here in my hand. I am heartbroken. Flat out didn't expect this and didn't see it coming. This is just awful...I don't understand how one could just die like this with no warning, no sickness...no signs...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
maybe he had heart problems that didnt show on the outside... We may never know... but we do know you did your best.
sorry for the loss....

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am very sorry Maggie, I know how it affects you when someone else's tortoise dies, and I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to lose one of your own.

Kristina

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Oh Maggie, I am so sorry. That is horrible, I wonder what could have happened. I'm so sorry **HUGS**

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This was the beakless baby that she showed a picture of in another thread. How sad for a healthy tortoise that you've invested quite a bit of emotion into to suddenly die for no apparent reason. I'm wondering because of the mouth open and head going back over his back if he was trying to breathe. Like maybe his airway was blocked. Let us know what the vet says Monday after the gross necropsy.

I'm so very sorry that this happened, Maggie. I know its hard for you to go through losing them.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Poor thing. I hope you can recover from this unexpected heartbreak without too much time passing. Best wishes. :(

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Maggie, I know no words can truly console you at a time like this. You have such a big heart and I can only imagine that your heartbreak is enormous. I can say all the things we say to those who suffer a loss like yours, but you already know all of those and I am sure have used them far too many times. My heart goes out to you and I am tearing up thinking of your heartbreak. Know that baby was loved best, by one of the best. Maggie, I cry for you and your little loved one and send Hugs to you my friend.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I'm so sorry that your little tortoise died Maggie. At least he was taken care of by someone who really cared all this time. Candy

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
You have my sympathy. It is hard to lose a loved pet espically one you invested much time and love with.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am so sorry your baby passed. As I tell my grand kids, God probably needed a baby for a little kid who always wanted one and decided He needed yours.
Prayers & hugs to you
Patsy

M

Maggie Cummings

I appreciate all the words of condolence...but he wasn't a baby, he was 7 years old, his first 4 were spent living in a 10 gallon aquarium without UVB lights or the correct food. I just called him the beakless 'baby' because he was so small and he had no beak. I had him for almost 3 years...and as usual it was me who cries over an animal who was ruined by some idiot who couldn't be bothered to give an animal the correct care. It's NEVER those people who have to see the animal die because they end up tired of having that animal so they take it to a rescue. So it's me or someone like me who watches the animal die and cries over them. I just want to go back to those people and others like them who don't care enough to do a little bit of research and raise the animal with the correct husbandry and shove a rotting dead carcass up there where the sun don't shine. I may have had him for 3 years but I know he died today because of the bad start he got from those people.
He died in my hand, I was holding him and saw him breathe his last breath. I AM SO MAD!!!

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
Maggie,

Sorry for your lost. I think God has called him home to heaven where there are many tortoise lovers waiting for him there. I believe they need torts as much as we cherish these creatures here on earth. I will remember your tort in song this weekend.

Minh

desertsss

5 Year Member
I am so sad to hear this. Atleast you were there. My condolences.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I know the feeling Maggie...When I was doing water turtles, and something like this happened I felt the same way. I still have fights with people when I am at the local pond and I see kids chasing ducks and catching the turtles that people dumped off because they didn't want them any more. You did your best...that's all we can ever do. Hugs.......

sendie

10 Year Member!
Lake Jackson, TX
I'm so sorry you had to deal with this, and with your huge heart you probably will again and again. The world needs more people like you, thanks for all you do.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I'm so so sorry to hear about your tort Maggie. I'm so heartbroken for you.You have such a big heart Maggie, I wish you didn't have to go through this.Nick, Tallula and I send you 1000's of hugs....you can take one or more for each time you need it. Xxx

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
oh Maggie, I am so sorry. And yes, I understand how you can be angry. I am also sick of that disposable mentality with animals. Poor little guy. He lived out his final years in comfort to say the least.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Sorry to hear Maggie. I know it's not easy but I know you did everything you could. **HUGS**

Status
Not open for further replies.