Healthy Tortoise Shell

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Alief
He's in Texas. My guess is that maybe somehow someone brought this Tortoise across the border, perhaps illegally. Then it was brought to a pet shop and sold. The pet shop probably looked at it and thought it was a Sulcata. Neither party knowing what it actually was. Just my theory.
YeS! they where bought illegally i went to the store told me they are imported from africa not sure if it actually came from africa or Another part of the world. they aren’t CB

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
YeS! they where bought illegally i went to the store told me they are imported from africa not sure if it actually came from africa or Another part of the world. they aren’t CB
Didn't come from Africa. Most likely came from South America across the Mexican border.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
haha, if i didn’t had such a personality i would.
Well...then u'll have to be a mom of 2...have fun with that hehehe? by the by I don't consider myself an expat let alone an expert. I said hay because it's the first time I saw you.?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It was not imported from Africa. They banned importation of sulcatas and leopards from Africa in 1998. This is a captive bred tortoise. If it was a chaco, it did not get found in Argentina and hand carried all the way up to Mexico and south Texas.

Looking now at posts 66-70, I'm pretty sure this is a sulcata. The other pics did kinda look like it might be something else, but these don't. It also just doesn't add up that this store would have something so rare and precious as a chaco and not know it, and not have paid for it. Even if it was illegally imported from Mexico, the person selling it to the store would know what it was and would have charged accordingly.

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

Is that the same tortoise? That is a sulcata. The other picture did not look like that. Got the butterfly supracaudal. And the seam between the 5th vertebral and the 4th costal hits the middle of the last marginal. that's 100% sulcata. A chaco has that seam hit right between the last and 2nd to last marginal.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Is that the same tortoise? That is a sulcata. The other picture did not look like that. Got the butterfly supracaudal. And the seam between the 5th vertebral and the 4th costal hits the middle of the last marginal. that's 100% sulcata. A chaco has that seam hit right between the last and 2nd to last marginal.
So it’s a sulcata?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
tegu, post: 1811081, member: 115904"]
By the time you make it over here it’ll be gone lol so pick up more on ur way
[/QUOTE]
Ok. Not see you soon.☺