Healthy Growing Sulcata with slightly springy plastron

Jeff9241170

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hey Guys,

I have a healthy sulcata, hes about 4-5" now (shell diameter)

His diet consists of the following:

Hibiscus Leaves and Flowers, "Saluyot" and "Kang Kong" (local weeds in the Philippines), occasional Okra, opuntia, and calabasa

His supplements are calcium with d3 which is given every 2 days

His setup is

basking area of 40c, ambient of 32-34, cool area of 30 in a closed chamber environment

he has a uvb which is on for 12-13 hrs daily (on a timer), he gets weekend access to regular sunlight, roughly 30 mins to 1 hour , he eats very well and is growing very well however I noticed that he has a springy plastron, not the whole bottom but on the middle area towards the tail.

I got him Feb this year, was just 3-3.5 back then, seller wasnt an expert on torts thats why he sold me the sully cheap, when I got him, his hind area (legs and shell) werent formed well, the shell alone wasnt a complete "bump" the hump was slightly higher towards the front then it slides downwards towards his rear, so there was little space between the shell and the plastron towards his rear, fortunately it was enough for his tail to be out, plastron was softer back then

several months and this has almost been corrected, his shell is now more rounded than how it was when I got him, however Im puzzled with the springy plastron, its improved from his previous state, but its still not entirely gone, i was worried and already took him to a local vet, was advised that as long as he's healthy and active, I shouldnt worry, I should just continue with proper husbandry and eventually the issue will be fixed through proper diet and enclosure setup

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Agree with the vet do I. Time calcium and sunshine will harden it up.

Jeff9241170

Philippines
Thanks! Im just getting worried since I know Ive already turned around his diet/ environment setup from his previous owner, scared it could be something worse

But yup, thats exactly what the vet said, im very pleased to see him growing well, he eats a lot, I feed him 2-3 times daily, 3 times only if I see him roaming around his enclosure looking for food :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
He prob. got started out dry. As long as his shell does not start getting softer, everything should be fine.