Health Issues Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Does everybody remember when I thought my tortoise wasn't eating?

Well, he got better. But now he is leaning towards the bad side of tortoise health again. He was still not quite eating as much as when we first got him, but he was eating. Then all of a sudden all he would eat was blueberries, and somewhat continues to do so. He is going back to just sleeping in his hide, although once or twice I have caught him soaking in his water. Finally, he has been having HUGE poops. They started getting to be about the size of a rabbit pellet, but then gradually got to be about a big cluster of rabbit clusters, they are spread out quite a bit and the average thickness is about that of a cracker. ( Sorry for the details, but I know it will help him in the long run)

My concerns are:
Eating issues
Sleeping most of the time
Big over sized poops

And if something is not clear, please say something, because I get kinda scramble brains when my tort is not in the best shape.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
all he would eat was blueberries,
just sleeping
once or twice I have caught him soaking
Big over sized poops, big cluster of rabbit clusters, they are spread out

Hmmmm?

[
*]I have a heating light and another light for well light, I turn it off at night
[*] I feed lettuce and some brocolli, sometimes some carrots (I know I need more variety and some stuff with better nutrionion, blah, blah, but I've heard that you need to sprinkle stuff on food once a month, once a week, so confusing! So any suggestions on diet, anything, appreciated!)
[*] My set up is the one that was recommended when we got him. (Sorry can't remember gallons of the top of my head) He has a hiding spot and two plastic plants
[*] I try to take him outside at least for an hour every day or so. He goes crazy.
[*] I give him lots of love. But I don't hold him too much because I've heard it give 'em stress.

Is this stuff still the set up? I can see some changes that may help---if this is still the set up I mean....:D

Mojo's Mom

5 Year Member
Kansas
I have a more updated list on the Possibly Not Eating thread I started last time he wasn't so good. I am on my iPad so I can't copy and paste, so I will try to get on a computer soon.

And I was a little scatter-brained last night when I wrote that, :)

But yeah, he really only likes to pick out the blueberries I give him with his other fresh yummy things, has huge poop, although my description might be a little exaggerated (maybe, I am just worried, and as I said, I get nutty when something is wrong with my animals, but they ARE bigger than the rabbit pellets my rabbit has), and there is a lot of the huge poops, and he sleeps most of the time. Here is basically our feeding routine:

I bring down his food and give it to him
Then I take out the old stuff
I pick him up out of his hide and set him near the food
He eats the blueberries and go back to his hide before I finish feeding my gecko

Again, sorry if I sound half crazy, and sorry if something isn't clear. I am getting worried because he has been like this for a while now and being a newer tort owner I really want to make sure he has a good life.

Thanks in advance everyone, and thanks ascott for replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.