Health concern

JadeHoward

Location (City and/or State)
Kent
I have a 15 year old Male Spurthigh.

He is normally a typical male, always charging around, and owning the place! But recent weeks he hasn't been right. ( when you know you know)

Thought he may have something stuck in his mouth, gums or throat.. but nothing.

I took him to Trinity vet centre, our local Rep vet. No respiratory infection, no nasal drip, no funny noises, so sent us on our way with a clean bill of health. ( hasn't needed vet treatment for 3 years)

A few weeks pass and still not right but defiantly improvements so back to the vet. Then notice he keeps pulling his head in quickly and wriggling it side to side, the legs stay out and seem stiff. Parasite check, all clear. Then an Xray, nothing there.

He is eating and slightly active, but has lost weight and is struggling to break up his food, keeps pulling his head in and looks uncomfortable.

The only thing I can see him doing differently is he keeps popping his penis out when he goes to the toilet, which he never normally does. . He doesn't seem to be passing full stools, just thick liquid poop, urates look spot on... I'm just concerned that the vet can't find the cause, and I've almost exhausted all avenues now.. what are your suggestions, advice and questions.

Many thanks, Jade.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really don't know what to tell you, but, I do agree with you - something is wrong. Try soaking for a few days in a row and see if that helps his problem. Set him up in a plastic tub that he can't climb out of and add enough warm water to come up to the middle of his sides and just leave him in there for 30 to 40 minutes. Keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't tip over trying to escape. You can position a light over the tub, but not shining directly on him.

Did the vet take a look inside his mouth?

JadeHoward

Kent
Heya, thank you for replying.

Yes the vet looked inside his mouth, and I have been looking as much as I can when he feeds. I gave him a long soak just now and he has a LOT of gas.. he still seems uncomfortable love him. I will try doing this for a few days in a row as you have advised.

So horrible seeing him like this.

JadeHoward

Kent
Yes he could be, when he passes anything he gets his winkle out which he doesn't normally do.. also, he isn't passing anything in full.. its all a bit wet and in bits. No solid poop.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sorry to hear your torty is sick. Wish I could offer any advice but I can't. Have they done an XRay? It sounds like he has a blockage or twisted gut?

JadeHoward

Kent
Thank you..

Yes he had an Xray but the vet couldn't find anything. I have called the vet today and requested that they re look to be doubly sure. I bathed him today several times, and he had a lot of gas. He did poop but it still isn't right. . He seems to be eating more but not very active and losing weight. He is normally really chunky and stocky, but is starting to look thin around the head and leg areas. ???

JadeHoward

Kent
This is Sherman ( after the tank) as you can see he has bright eyes, and looks relatively healthy. He does have some pyramiding, however this has improved significantly since having him. My nan had him before and sadly fed him on cat buiscuts. After starving him out approx 4 years ago, he now eats everything under the sun ( weeds and flowers) he normally drinks alot. He has passed 2 poops today that look a lot better and more formed, rather then just wet and sloppy. He still seems uncomfortable, but not trumping as much in his baths. When he tries to eat he keeps flinging his head in and spinning himself around quickly... and when he passes poop he seems comfortable too. He is currently on towels in his set up, and the vet recommended during this peroid so to keep an eye on his faeces. He has UVB and a heat lamp at 32c ... hope this helps a little?

20200305_101253.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are his four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

What type of UV bulb are you using?

You said weeds and flowers, but what type? Are you sure they are free of pesticides?

JadeHoward

Kent
He is on towels as recommended by the vets. Towels or newspaper. So I can monitor his stools more freely. I am at work until 8am tomorrow so can get pics of his set up. Its not ideal but until the shed is up and running, water tight, and insulated/ heated.. he is indoors. He doesn't like it much. The vet has asked for me to take a poop sample for up to 5 days and see of he has any sort of bacterial infection. . He passed 2 healthier looking poops today which was a relief, but he still keeps pulling his head in. Poor mite.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is on towels as recommended by the vets. Towels or newspaper. So I can monitor his stools more freely. I am at work until 8am tomorrow so can get pics of his set up. Its not ideal but until the shed is up and running, water tight, and insulated/ heated.. he is indoors. He doesn't like it much. The vet has asked for me to take a poop sample for up to 5 days and see of he has any sort of bacterial infection. . He passed 2 healthier looking poops today which was a relief, but he still keeps pulling his head in. Poor mite.
What are his four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

What type of UV bulb are you using?

You said weeds and flowers, but what type? Are you sure they are free of pesticides?

Joma

Taos, NM
My tortoise has had two impactions from eating twigs. What I noticed the second time is that he passed small bits of poop that looked thin and watery. Until the impactions cleared and he passed the twig and a full on poop. The other symptoms were lethargy, sleeping more and eating less. When I thought he was impacted I soaked him as often as I was able.

JadeHoward

Kent
He is on a varried diet of weeds, dandy, plantain, garlic herb, goose weed, mallow, cats ear, erm clover... the list goes on. He has a very healthy diet. I use The Tortoise Table app, its brilliant for identifying safe weeds and so on.

Temp under Lamp: 32 C
Temp warm side : 27c
Temp cool side: 24c
Night time temps: not entirely sure as room temperature, as indoors at the moment.

I need to replace his Zoomed UVB strip bulb as it goes!! But always used them and haven't seemed to have any issues really.

JadeHoward

Kent
My tortoise has had two impactions from eating twigs. What I noticed the second time is that he passed small bits of poop that looked thin and watery. Until the impactions cleared and he passed the twig and a full on poop. The other symptoms were lethargy, sleeping more and eating less. When I thought he was impacted I soaked him as often as I was able.

He does exactly that, passes watery poop and little bits of undigested food... I have l however noticed today, that he has a red spot on his penis which could be causing this problem. I will take him the vet. He has been pooping a lot better the past few days, by that I mean solid whole poops. I agree the more I soak him the better his poops are getting.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I am not sure what garlic herb is, but if it is an allium species, I would remove that from his diet immediately. Although we can eat garlic and onions (all allium species) they are very toxic to most animals.

JadeHoward

Kent
I am not sure what garlic herb is, but if it is an allium species, I would remove that from his diet immediately. Although we can eat garlic and onions (all allium species) they are very toxic to most animals.

Its a safe feed. Check The Tortoise Table database. I wouldn't feed it if it wasn't safe.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I was not aware this database existed--it's awesome. Thanks for making me aware of it.
I don't see garlic herb there--garlic mustard is listed and yes, that is fine.

JadeHoward

Kent
I was not aware this database existed--it's awesome. Thanks for making me aware of it.
I don't see garlic herb there--garlic mustard is listed and yes, that is fine.

Oh pants yes! Sorry its Garlic Mustard haha