Head Injury - Sulcata Hatchling

Tortuga Lover AZ

One of my baby sulcatas got his head stuck in between the bottom and top part of his outside enclosure which is made out of wood. When I lifted up the top of enclosure I could see that part of his head was a little smashed. His eyes were open and moving a little. But, for the whole afternoon no movement. His head was halfway in his shell, but now his head is all the way out and swollen. Is he dying or already dead. Do eyes open mean anything? This is awful...so sad!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, this is truly sad. I very unexpected and freak accident. You shouldn't beat yourself up over it as I doubt you could have prevented it.

Tortoises die with their eyes open. I really doubt a vet would be able to do anything. This is probably something you just have to let nature take its course, however, it really sounds to me as if he's dead.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
One of my baby sulcatas got his head stuck in between the bottom and top part of his outside enclosure which is made out of wood. When I lifted up the top of enclosure I could see that part of his head was a little smashed. His eyes were open and moving a little. But, for the whole afternoon no movement. His head was halfway in his shell, but now his head is all the way out and swollen. Is he dying or already dead. Do eyes open mean anything? This is awful...so sad!

Oh my, I am so sorry...there is no telling if he will survive or not, this sounds absolutely like a vet trip so that he can be examined to check the head and its stability...oh, my heart hurts for you two...

Tortuga Lover AZ

Yes, this is truly sad. I very unexpected and freak accident. You shouldn't beat yourself up over it as I doubt you could have prevented it.

Tortoises die with their eyes open. I really doubt a vet would be able to do anything. This is probably something you just have to let nature take its course, however, it really sounds to me as if he's dead.

Thanks Yvonne...that was what I needed to know about the eyes. I'm pretty sure he is dead. There is nothing I can do now unfortunately. But, I fixed the part of the outside enclosure so it doesn't happen again. I still have 30 very active hatchlings that try to climb everything. Now I know how to prevent it from happening. It is very sad though. Thanks again for your advice.

Tortuga Lover AZ

Oh my, I am so sorry...there is no telling if he will survive or not, this sounds absolutely like a vet trip so that he can be examined to check the head and its stability...oh, my heart hurts for you two...

Unfortunately it looks like he is dead. No movement at all. He was only about 1 or 2 months old. Probably not strong enough to survive a head injury like that. Very sad....