Head coloring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faery

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alaska
So after looking through everyone's photos of their redfoots on here (so much fun!) I've begun to notice that the older animals seem to have less discrete color patches; their red spots seem more diffuse. Is this a normal aging pattern in this species?

Faery

5 Year Member
Alaska
Still hoping for an answer to this... do the color patches on their heads lose their distinct shapes/edges as the torts age? Or do some just start out with less distinct color patches?

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
I don't know about heads but that's what shells do, maybe with new skin growth then the coloring might spread apart.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
In almost all animal species, coloration fades or blurs as it grows older.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Faery said:
Still hoping for an answer to this... do the color patches on their heads lose their distinct shapes/edges as the torts age? Or do some just start out with less distinct color patches?

Well thats sort of a two edged questioned.....#1 coloration is a genetic trait , and not all torts are created equal ( sorta speak)in coloring and patterns, and as Mark stated markings will fade "SOME" with age ...but then again I have animals that are 16 + years with tons of color ~
JD~:)

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Here is an exception to the "colors fade with age".
IMG_1170.jpg

This is my largest male (for now) :D he is about 13 inches long and as you can see he still has vivid head coloration.
Now it is the case that color does fade with age but some redfoots dont fade quite as quickly as others!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here is another example of a "old timer" still with color . This is Oscar' my ALpha male cherry ......who is 12+"~
a932.jpg

JD~:)

Faery

5 Year Member
Alaska
Thanks for the input, everyone! John, that is an exceptionally striking redfoot, the red and yellow are so vibrant! And JD, I love all the pictures of your herd, it doesn't appear any of your torts lost their color! I was just curious what to expect as my little one ages.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Thanks! Every tortoise is different and part of being a tortoise keeper is finding out what they are like as they age. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.