Head Bobbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
Ive seen my male russian tort bob his head at the female occasionally. I know lizards do it for territorial, mating, or aggressive reasons. Why do tortoises do it?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I don't know either,but my little RF Nougat bobs every time I place food in his pen. I thought he was 'priming' his palette.
Na

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have heard it is a sign of dominance, like the lizards. Mine will do it when strangers come around.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They all do it, males and females alike. However, it usually is a male courting ritual. When females do it its because they are sending mean, bad vibes to the other tortoise.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

My neighbor bobs her head at me, do you suppose it means the same thing???:p...mean bad vibes?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
maggie3fan said:
My neighbor bobs her head at me, do you suppose it means the same thing???:p...mean bad vibes?

Most definitely!!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
But But But, does that mean my little Nougat thinks I am an angry mean, vibrant neighbor???

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
When you put food in the smell the air. They cant expand their diaphragm like we can because of their shells so their fron and back ends have to push out slightly. They also inflate their necks which makes them bob up slightly as well. Im sure he loves the mysterious tanish pink thing that enters his tank everyday and deposits food. Dont worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.