Head bobbing & squeaking

Ks295

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi!
I gave my male horse field tortoise a bath of lukewarm water and he did seem to drink some of it (mouth went into the water via a head tilt)

when I took him out and put him down he began to squeak & bob his head in and out of the shell, when the squeak happens that’s when the head jumps into the shell kind of like a hiccup

anyone know what this is? Is it normal?

nicoleann2214

NY
Hi!
I gave my male horse field tortoise a bath of lukewarm water and he did seem to drink some of it (mouth went into the water via a head tilt)

when I took him out and put him down he began to squeak & bob his head in and out of the shell, when the squeak happens that’s when the head jumps into the shell kind of like a hiccup

anyone know what this is? Is it normal?
Welcome! Hopefully someone can answer your questions soon!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Does it sound like he is wheezing when he breathes? Does he appear to being having any difficulty breathing such as extending is head and neck completely and opening his mouth as if he's gasping for air? If that is happening he may have a respiratory problem or impacted nostrils. If he is just sitting with his head moving in and out only slightly and appears to be breathing without difficulty he may have just taken in too much water through his nose and which should eventually pass. Just to be safe I would suggest monitoring his breathing and watch for any fluid from his nostrils just in case it is a respiratory issue.