He wont eat :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Creek, Ca
So my new little guy did great for the first few days but now he's refusing to eat. He's is staying in his cold side hide all day. I have moved him out a few times to sit and warm up in the basking area and he walks back and hides again. Is he just stressed out from the move? I have offered him a large variation of different foods but he's eaten nothing for the last two days. I am soaking him every other day. Should I be patient or is it a sign of something else?

-Concerned Mommy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are your four temps? Basking, cool side, warm side and night?

What are you using for lighting, heating and UV? Coil type UV bulb?

How big is the enclosure?

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
Basking 95, warm side 85-87, cool side 75 and night is about 70.

75 watt (Non coil type) UV spot light
75 watt basking bulb spot light

He's in a zoo-med tortoise box, 4x2. We adopted him a week ago where he was living in a 20gal tank with no special lighting. Do I need a different lighting setup?
Thanks for your help.

We've had him since Friday.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Offer him something red in color...red lettuce, carrot slivers, red bell peppers slices, mixed in with greens. Red seems to REALLY get their attention.

Otherwise, leave him alone until he gets used to you.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
The red food worked. I chopped up a little bit of red bell and put it in his food. He couldn't resist. The store he came from was feeding him carrots and apples daily so I think the change in his diet to mostly if not all greens may have upset him. He seems to be eating now though. Thank you for the advise.

Can I ask, are grunting noises normal. I swear he makes the weirdest noises. On top of the normal hiss or grunt sounds he is making a noise that sounds like a brup. Is that normal?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Glad the red food worked. Keep in mind that this is not a long-term solution... bit by bit reduce the reds you add... the goal is leafy and green. :)

About the noises. Tortoises make a kind of hissing sound when they expel air from their lungs to make room for their head when they pull it in. They squeak when they are mating (RTs sound like a rubber duck, it's hilarious).
However, I don't want to throw you into a panic, but a 'burping' sound actually is not a normal tortoise sound... could be the tortoise version of a cough. How often does he make this sound? What is he doing when he makes it? Is his mouth open or closed, how is he holding his head? Depending on your answer to these questions, a vet visit MIGHT be necessary. I would definitely recommend having a fecal sample tested for parasites - worms are very common in tortoises, and can show up as respiratory symptoms (in stead of or as well as loose stools).

littleatella said:
The red food worked. I chopped up a little bit of red bell and put it in his food. He couldn't resist. The store he came from was feeding him carrots and apples daily so I think the change in his diet to mostly if not all greens may have upset him. He seems to be eating now though. Thank you for the advise.

Can I ask, are grunting noises normal. I swear he makes the weirdest noises. On top of the normal hiss or grunt sounds he is making a noise that sounds like a brup. Is that normal?

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
That was the first and it was shortly after his soak. When I put him back in his house to warm he let out a loud burp sound. When he is awake he is looking around and holding his head up fine as best as I can tell. He sleeps a lot. He finally came out tonight to explore and eat. After a big kale leaf he passed out again on the path to his hide.

Jordan67

5 Year Member
I would be careful how much kale you feed him as it's not the best thing for them.

Rutagonzo

5 Year Member
Usually having a UVB bulb is beneficial to your tortoise and it generally gets tortoises more active, and makes them more hungry. :)

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
His appetite a back, I think he needed time to adjust to the new home. He ate all of his food today which was spring mix with a few baby rose leaves and some herbs from my garden. He's napping once again but seems to be coming around a little more each day.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
According to http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk things like oregano and sage are safe and rosemary in moderation. He did not seem to like the oregano that much but he did eat some. I think the baby rose leafs were a big winner. All home grown so I know there are no pesticides.

Status
Not open for further replies.