He told me to buy two...

saginawhxc

Location (City and/or State)
Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Has anybody ever tried to compile as many of these kind of stories as we can find into one thread? So we could have a central place to point people to when we tell them it's not suggested.

I know even here it is a debated subject. Would a thread collecting people's accounts in one place just turn into a free for all?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Just about every "debatable topic" turns into a free-for-all eventually here. But I do think there should be an article about it at the top of every species specific thread. Groups may work for some kinds of tortoises in some instances but pairs never do. I especially hate to see it when people selling tortoises will give you a deal for a pair. Hate it hate it hate it. It just sets people up to fail immediately.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I spend an awful lot of time on facebook making people really angry with this subject. I have thought several times about having one thread we could all link to every time it comes up.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
That's kind of why its a good thing to "do your homework" previous to getting any pet . When they are the size of a quarter , and so cute getting 2 at a discount seems like a great idea ! It turns out great all right for the guy who is selling them !

Kaliman1962

I spend an awful lot of time on facebook making people really angry with this subject. I have thought several times about having one thread we could all link to every time it comes up.
what page on Facebook? i'd like to join

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The guy I got them from told me it's good to get two!!! He had a bunch of them in one enclosure.
He lied! But then of course he did, he cared more for the money then the well being of the animal. Just house them in seperate enclosures is all you need to do.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Has anybody ever tried to compile as many of these kind of stories as we can find into one thread? So we could have a central place to point people to when we tell them it's not suggested.

I know even here it is a debated subject. Would a thread collecting people's accounts in one place just turn into a free for all?
The problem is, people don't do their research before they buy. We could go thru all that work and we are still going to get many threads from people that bought two. Same with any other tortoise related subject. They all/almost all have been answered a million times, yet, every day we get the same threads, asking the same questions. Too many buy before researching. Then, even those that research first, might be searching the sites with poor info.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
That happened to me. I read and reread every site I could find, but it never really sank in how much if it was bad until I got my tortoise.

On an amusing note and slightly related note, yesterday I got "put in my place" by a 16 year old girl that has had her tortoise for three whole weeks. Her tortoise was "healthy and happy" and that was proof that her sulcata was just fine being fed fruit.