He had shell rot so I peel it off is he ok or how long tell it heals need help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Russians don't typically get shell rot. You've got a serious problem there. That looks like a big bacterial infection, not the typical "shell rot" we talk about in a red foot tortoise that has been kept on wet substrate and has a minor fungal infection.

How did that happen? Was the tortoise resting on wet substrate for a long time? Did you use peat as the substrate? Show us a pic of the enclosure?

You need an experienced reptile vet. Decline any "vitamin injections" or calcium injections. Most vets seem to want to do these, and it does nothing to help.

Review this care sheet to make sure you are giving the torotise everything it needs to survive and thrive: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Tkaiibatts10

New York new york
Well his shell was getting really loose so I just pulled it off but I just want to make sure he can recover But it looks like he’s doing better I scrub them down last night I’m gonna do the same today and I’m gonna put some iodine on him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well his shell was getting really loose so I just pulled it off but I just want to make sure he can recover But it looks like he’s doing better I scrub them down last night I’m gonna do the same today and I’m gonna put some iodine on him
You need to figure out WHY this happened and correct that problem. If you answer my questions and show us a pic of the enclosure we can help you better. We will not berate you or insult you. Our goal is to help your tortoise.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Poor guy. I hope he feels better soon. I would advice you to listen to Tom's instructions he has plenty of experience on here to get you on the right track. Avoid looking at blogs, or other websites on google.

csheikh

Lahore
Tom is right. And if l'm not wrong is that some blood l'm seeing? Maybe it's from the peeling.