he bit me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
my one year old desert tortoise bit me! he just got done eating, and i put my hand in his little home to rub his neck and say bye for the day. i usually pick him up, but was running late. he took a few soft shots at my finger, then figured it out and chomped down! it didn't break the skin or hurt, but it was funny. his mouth is a lot sharper than i imagined. anyone else get bit by one?

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
None of my torts have bitten me but I have been bitten by a couple of my turtles. Hurts a little but then they were just babies at the time.

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
my greek bites my feet when hes out roaming

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hermy wants to eat my fingers everytime she sees them (because usually when he sees my fingers it is because I want to give her food) :D

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Last weekend grandson decided to handfeed the RFs. His statement after feeding his hand was " They don't have teeth but they pinch hard". He decided handfeeding wasn't a good idea and now just drops food in front of them.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
my mom was bit really hard by one of my large sulcatas. she was getting to close when feeding him some lettuce. he broke the skin and her finger was dripping with blood. i warned her ahead of time, but she didnt listen. i thought it was funny, she didnt.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
My Iberas like to bite my feet/sandal when I'm out in the backyard. Not sure if they're really begging for food or they just like to "taste" it. Anyway, it doesn't really hurt but sometimes startled me.

Megan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
When we went down to the resce for our new DT, I was looking at all of the fosters in their pens, listening to the rescue lady tell us about each of them. The next thing I knew, the "old man" saw my bright pink toenail polish and took a bite! I felt like HE picked me :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Manouria not only think that I'm "The Food God", but they also think that I am food. I was standing at the bird flight, adding and removing food for the birds and just happened to look down in time to jerk my leg back from the gaping mouth of my 65lb female Manouria emys phayrei. Had I not seen her, I would have lost a pretty large chunk out of my calf muscle!!

People always ask me if the tortoises bite. The quick answer is "yes", but the more detailed answer is, they are not aggressive, but just might think you have something for them to eat, and bite you.

Yvonne

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
emysemys said:
My Manouria not only think that I'm "The Food God", but they also think that I am food. I was standing at the bird flight, adding and removing food for the birds and just happened to look down in time to jerk my leg back from the gaping mouth of my 65lb female Manouria emys phayrei. Had I not seen her, I would have lost a pretty large chunk out of my calf muscle!!

People always ask me if the tortoises bite. The quick answer is "yes", but the more detailed answer is, they are not aggressive, but just might think you have something for them to eat, and bite you.

Yvonne
Imagine on nest robbing monitor facing that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Itort said:
Imagine on nest robbing monitor facing that.
[/quote]

Yes, but the tortoise moves so slowly, I don't think the lizard would be in trouble. You can see them coming with that open mouth for a month or so before they actually get anywhere near making contact. LOL!

Yvonne

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
san diego
haah, yeah they are really slow. although once mine got the hang of it a couple times, he really moved at it. my girlfriend stuck her finger in there, and he went straight for it and chomped! he hasn't done it since.

Status
Not open for further replies.