having roll over problems, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

poomwah

5 Year Member
We've had our sulcatta for a while now, everything has been going well until lately he's been trying to climb the side of the tortoise table and winds up ending up on his back :[ He's done it three times since yesterday, and of course he does it on the hot side of the enclosure right underneath the heat lamp.
What can we do to stop him from doing this? What can we change in the design of his habitat to help prevent it.
The walls of the enclosure are wooden, completely vertical. the substrate is a mixture of soil and sand, and is pretty much level.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edison, N.J.
How big/old is your Sulcata and is it possible to show pictures of him and the enclosure?

poomwah

5 Year Member
we dont know how old he is, but here are some pics
8566c4ea.jpg

96c1a9ec.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Beautiful little tortoise. You're doing a great job of growing him smoothly. Try to figure out what (in your tortoise's mind) is wrong with the habitat. He's trying to get out and go someplace else. Is he getting enough food? Is there a good hiding place? Is there plenty of water? Is it big enough for lots of exercise? Put yourself in his place and see if you can understand why he wants out.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
One thing that can help is to get some inexpensive silk plants from a dollar store or a craft store and place them all around the outside and at intervals in the middle of enclosure. It adds hiding places and a sense of security.

poomwah

5 Year Member
thank you, we'll give him more hiding places. he has a hide box right now, but maybe it isnt enough.
he's got water, plenty of food, his enclosure is about 25 inches x about 50.

Ã

♪Ms.мαиđαРαиđÎ

Very cute Tortoise. He looks like my Speed Bump, she is a Calif Desert Tort. Nonetheless adorable :)

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
With my tort the times when i find him on his back are when i have fed him a bit later than usual, i think mine gets hungry and then tries to get out to find food, since i have made sure i feed him at the usual time and i have no longer had problems with him falling on his back.

poomwah

5 Year Member
he eats a varitey of grasses, leaves and weeds. filaree seems to be his favorite
thank you for all the advice everyone, we REALLY appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.