Having a nightmare experience - need some advice please

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Queen Creek, Arizona
Mike,
As I was reading though your post I was thinking to myself, " I totally understand your frustration". I am going through what you are currently experiencing. I adoped a Sulcata hatchling and was told one thing, only to find out everything I was told was wrong. I am currently working on my enclosure and trying to make it just right for baby Bowser. I have to admit, once I covered my enclosure and got the humidity up, it made a big diffrence. Not only in the appearance of Bowsers shell, but also his wieght. For the first six weeks I had him, he did not gain much wieght. Now that the heat and humidity of his enclosure are up. He is gaining like crazy. I know it is expensive, and it is really frustrating to buy one thing thinking you have it right, only to find out it is completly wrong and you have to go buy more. I attached a picture of my indoor enclosure. Its not perfect, but Im getting there. The closed lid made of plexiglass keeps my humidity 80% consistantly, Temps in basking are between 90-100 degrees, temps by hide are in the 80's.

Attachments

• Bowser6.jpg
    Bowser6.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Bowser7.jpg
    Bowser7.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 19

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Welcome !
I adopted a 2 1/2 yr old Sulcata that looked allot like yours, and was small for his age (2.3 lbs) 8 months later he is 9.2 lbs. Once they get what they need they can put on a growth spurt.
Good fortune with your new baby.
I've found that until I absorbed all I could find here on the Tortoise forum, there was no need, in fact just confusion to look anywhere else. You will find those on the leading edge of tortoise knowledge are here. Though we might not always agree on everything, those discussions are still full of great knowledge and best care practices.
These creatures live a long time, ad their first years are critical as to how their quality of life develops.