Haven't seen this before :(

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
This is not my tortoise but I’m wondering what your input is on this redfoot’s skin. It appears overgrown and is covering his nostrils almost to closure. Is this from dryness or dehydration?

5CAFE32D-17D2-4CD4-BA83-A20C4E2DB67B.jpeg

zovick

10 Year Member!
This is not my tortoise but I’m wondering what your input is on this redfoot’s skin. It appears overgrown and is covering his nostrils almost to closure. Is this from dryness or dehydration?
I am not sure I can see what you mean about skin covering the nostrils. Both look open to me in the photo. However, the tortoise does appear to be very dry, so probably keeping it in a more moist environment and soaking it daily would be a big plus. It also might loosen up the skin you say is covering the nostrils and help it to slough off.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
yes the picture quality isn’t great, but if you zoom in, it’s like a layer of skin covering the face and almost blocking the nostrils.

Attachments

• A482F25C-0501-4526-812A-4619E18C2060.png
    A482F25C-0501-4526-812A-4619E18C2060.png
    473.3 KB · Views: 13

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
yes the picture quality isn’t great, but if you zoom in, it’s like a layer of skin covering the face and almost blocking the nostrils.
one of the nostrils are ALMOST blocked by the "skin" (i wouldnt call it skin tbh, maybe it's just naturally small?? or shedding skin??)
but the other one is fine, id be more worried about the pyramiding imo

zovick

10 Year Member!
I would suggest wetting it down thoroughly with warm water and trying to gently peel off the entire layer of skin (or whatever it is if not skin). Then see if it comes back or not when keeping the tortoise under more moist/wet conditions.