Have you fed or seen your tortoise eat Ginkgo leaves?

SPILL

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I've picked up maybe a couple of dried grams once or twice for some variety as a topper. It was eaten but I can't really say there was anything memorable about it either way.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Yes, When I kept Mep and Mee and raised one Impressa I fed ginkgo leaves on a regular bases to all of them. I have 2 ginkgo trees that I started from seeds in 2004 and are just now starting to take off in growth. Picture 002 5 24 2020.jpg I just took this pic and brought 3 leaves back inside with me and wrinkled them up and dropped them in front of Donald my young sulcata who has never seen a ginkgo leaf before and is not real hungry because he has been eating all day. Here is what he did with one of themPicture 1 % 24 2020.jpg One problem with starting them from seeds is you wont know what sex they are until they mature and you really don't want female trees.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I have a small ginko in my yard, I'm going to offer it to Sergio tomorrow

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
He nibbled at first then took a bunch of "big" bites. I probably shouldn't have given him gel food with it though, as that took his attention away from the ginkgo

Update: he is going back forth between ginko and gel. I'd say that's a win for ginkgo

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Why do you ask Will? Are you going to have a new offering in your line up? :)

I've never tried this one. I can't be of any help on this question.
Ginkgo is available readily as an organic crop. I have fed fresh leaves a few times, tried them myself as well It just taste like 'chlorophyll' to me. Anyhow, I did not want to have it offered as an unestablished 'sometimes' item. So yeah, maybe in the line-up.

I have two tree leaves available, Moringa and Mulberry. I'm always seeking others, but finding it in abundance and organic is difficult. One of the companies I deal with will source pretty much anything people eat as a food, like Toona sinensis, but ask that if it's something new for them to manage I have to buy at least 1,000 kg. My turnover for established products is just reaching that amount. Something new would be difficult to turn over fast enough such that shelf life is not wasted here. New items are bought in the 50 to 100 kg range which I can turn over in less than a year. All these items have at least a four year shelf life. I've been listing a shelf life of 18 months to 2 years, that time is more a guidance for how much to buy, that you will use, these items do not expire.

Reactions: Tom
L

LasTortugasNinja

Ginkgo is often used in asian medicinal teas. As a rare "treat" they might be fine, however I'm not sure about a frequent feeding of them since they are high in many acids and cause gastrointestinal upset in many animals and humans if overconsumed.