Have 2 new sulcatas need help

Kevino87

I got 2 sulcatas that I have had for 5 to 6 months that I purchased from blackwater reptiles. They are very hardy eaters. The one concern I have is the one is grow more rapidly then the other, they were both the same size when they arrived. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Tortoises, especially sulcatas, should not be kept in pairs. You need to separate them. There does not have to be overt obvious hostility like biting or ramming for this to be a problem. Whenever there are two, one is more dominant and the other more submissive. The submissive wants to leave the territory and the dominant want him/her gone. The chronic stress of not being able to get away from this uncomfortable situation can do long term damage and one of the visual signs of that is hampered growth.

Do they sleep together? Follow each other around? Lay face to face sometimes? All bad signs.

Check these out for more help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. There are many subtleties to tortoise behavior that I never would have been aware of without the help of this forum. I hope you get involved and have as much fun with your sulcatas as I have had with mine.

Kevino87

There diet consists mostly of dark leafy greens and some store bought pellets, the are not handled at all unless taken out to soak a few times a week, they do sleep together and follow each other around thank you for the input and they will be separated tomorrow when I can get another setup

Kevino87

It's a dumb question, how do I post pictures there's one thing I am concerned about but don't know how to explain and a picture would be better to understand

M

Maggie Cummings

Cut and paste mostly works.
I do believe in handling my tortoises. It makes them more social and if their heads stay out, they are much easier for the vet to work on. Many disagree with me, but all my tortoises are well socialized and easy keepers. What's the point of having an animal that you can't communicate with? he needs to learn to trust you... That comes with handling. Just my experience...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're using a PC, you click on "upload a file" down at the bottom of your screen, then just follow the directions. If you're using some sort of device, I'm sorry, but I can't help you.

Kevino87

I just went and got a new setup when I separate the 2 of them should I put the dominate one in the new or old setup

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Welcome! You will lots of great advice here!

Personally I would probably choose to put the dominant one in the new enclosure, I'm not sure if anyone would disagree with this? I think he sounds more likely to adapt better, and to let the smaller one stay in the enclosure he's familiar with and hopefully you should start to see him pick up soon, with the other removed.

Also I think it's great you've listened to the advice given, and are making changes for the better ! You see a lot of people post about having pairs and when given the advice they should be separated they don't listen and try to justify why their torts are different to the norm, and "love" each other's company, seem to get along etc etc!

These guys on here know what their talking about, with a lot of members having invaluable experience and years and years of knowledge

I hope you start to see positive results soon

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
good question about the dominant one being put in the new enclosure. I agree as well I will put the more dominant one in, more likely to adjust quicker.

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
I'm not anywhere near as experienced as these other guys. But would the nondominant think the old enclosure is the others territory and so still be stressed even if it is gone? I would think moving the smaller one to a new territory it could claim as its own would be best just my thoughts tho.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
Yeh it's a tricky one, I can see arguments for both choices. Maybe just go with your gut instinct, as long as they are separated the little one should pick up

Kevino87

These kind has me worried or is because of them being together and not growing as fast he's kinda puffy around were his legs come out of the shell input please.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13