Hatchlings not eating :(

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
I need some help here.
Some of you may be familiar with my set up. The hatchlings are 8 days old. Kept in a brooder/habitat. 85-100% humidity, 85-100 degree temps. Daily soaks, sometimes twice. Dripping wet humid hides.
I think I'm doing everything right?
But they are not eating.
I have offered:
Grass clippings
Moist Mazuri Chow
Kale
Grape vine leaf
Squash plant leaf
Squash flowers
Hibiscus (flower and leaves)
Collards
Nopalitos (cactus)
Red leaf lettuce.....

I've tried whole, I've tried dicing. Nothing!
I've taken to calling them Tonka and Tex. I figured I better start weighing them.
Tonka is 26 grams
Tex is 24 grams

They appear very healthy. Tex's dehydration is gone, no more wrinkles. They are active.
So what gives???
I did see Tonka take one bite of kale the first day I had them. And I saw Tex sample the Mazuri mush the day after that. But that's it. Haven't seen any poo either. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402534355.704950.jpg
I've been putting the food on a cut paper plate, for easy access.
Anyone encountered this situation before? I'm very concerned.

alex_ornelas

newark ca
Im not as experienced as others but i know my sully was really picky. I feed mine grass clippings ,organic spring mix, romain nd bock choy. I would say try different foods they k iw what they do and dont like. But also wait for other forum members with more experience see what they say

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
8 days old? Is the egg yolk sac thing ( scientific term) still attached?

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Is it fairly normal for the hatchlings to not eat right away? Or until their sacs are gone completely?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402587153.257742.jpg
Tonka
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402587174.789173.jpg
Tex

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I trust the dark coloration is from the substrate? I would've waited until the scar closed before using an "earthy" substrate. I left mine on moist paper towels for a week plus...with a few food items scattered. Then at two weeks, I covered the towels with fresh chop (lawn clippings). I suggest losing the substrate for now...or at least lay a couple thick layers of moist paper towels on top of the substrate...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Some start eating sooner than others.

I didn't put babies on "dirt" until the scar was completely healed. They were on damp paper towels with food scattered, just like Dean described. Once they were healed and eating, then they went onto substrate.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Ok. I'll do that. Yes the dark color is from the substrate. I'm a nurse, so I know when something is infected or just "not right". They look ok once I soak them.
I will lay paper towels over the substrate right away....
But look! I caught one kinda trying to eat!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402622798.366017.jpg
Lol...

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Ok after soaking today, BOTH , of their little scabs came off. Now I've got this:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402683313.877968.jpg
Looking ok???
I'm still gonna keep them on the paper towels for awhile longer. Yes?
AND one of them made a little poo! I found it in the water. I smushed it between my fingers to see what was in it (because that's the kinda gal I am) and it felt like there was a calcium deposit in there... eggshell? That's what it felt like. The outside was light brown.
So after soaking we celebrated... put that useless water bowl to good use flipped over and did some climbing!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402683588.316338.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402683603.002450.jpg