Hatchling, water dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I'm still having water dish issues with my little hatchling...so forgive me that this is yet another thread on the topic.

He's 2 inches long, and seems to have limbs on the short side (he has trouble with any little change in terrain as he gets high-centered).

1. First I had a ramp bowl with the double slope (in and out). We both like it, but the paint was chipping and I was worried. I'd love to re-coat it with something safe to continue using it. I contacted the seller and manufacturer and unfortunately never heard back.

2. Tried lids for various things, sinking them into the aspen substrate (about the same shape as plant saucers which have been suggested). He has trouble getting out if it's actually deep enough for a soak(I test him out in it and he can't get out), but if it's really shallow he can manage, but he wouldn't actually be able to drink I don't think. I've heard they need to be able to get their head in.

Tried rocks in the bottom but it freaks him out. My fiance doesn't want me to use hot glue to glue the rocks down because he thinks the glue could seep into the water or grow mold (between the rocks).

3. Bought the smallest paint roller tray they had. It still had too many changes in slope for him to manage. I put in all sorts of rocks and sunk it in and made a ramp up with the shavings. I don't think he liked the plasticness of it as it was shiny and not too solid.

Getting pretty annoyed right now with finding him something for his water dish, as I'd like him to have the option even though I soak him every other day.

Suggestions? Give up on a water dish until he's bigger (and can manage the paint tray)? Does anyone use something for their hatchling besides a paint tray, commercially-available bowl, or saucer?

I wish I could justify $30 for the ramp water bowls I've seen...but I still think he'd have trouble getting out of it. I'd still love suggestions for re-sealing his double-ramp bowl (T-Rex Water's Edge). Thanks.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
I used a toy plate from my kids play set for my babies. The low spot was barely enough to get wet in, but they would go in and drink periodically, so it was enough. I soaked them in something deeper that they couldn't quickly get out of by themselves to get a good soak, but that's different.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Instead of hot glueing stones in place, use aquarium silicone :) There goes the danger of toxicity or mold :D

Kristina

M

Maggie Cummings

Use larger stones found in the aquarium section at the pet shop and don't glue them. Get the stones that are more flat than round and fill the bottom of an plant saucer with them...loose not glued...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I got a hermit crab bowl. It is ramped and my hatchlings, as small as 13 grams use it fine. It is deep enought to sit in and yet small enough so that they are not submerged.
Measures 5.75 inches long x 3.75 inches wide x 1 inch deep.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752632#prodTab1

What is your other bowl made of? the one that the paint scraped off of?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Thanks for the suggestions! Sounds like I have a few ideas to work with.

Robyn-The old bowl is made of plastic (I believe) with some fake wood stuff around it. It's heavier than it looks and I wouldn't be surprised if there is extra weight to it for stability. Do you have an idea for refinishing it? This is my favorite option as I've seen him use it on his own and I feel the most comfortable with the stability of it (the in and out ramp is the key point as he gets hung up otherwise). It's a good size for as he grows but doesn't take up too much space--less than the paint tray. The chipping paint is the only issue. I don't mind spending a little money on supplies if you have suggestions of what is safe to use. Ideally it would be one can of some kind of spray paint to cover anything up, and then coats of sealant. I already have water-based polyurethane at home if that's an option (used it to seal the wood of Trevor's tort table). Not sure about the toxicity of that for a water bowl vs. using it on his enclosure. I'd be fine with letting it off gas for a week or more.

Kristina-Can I use a brush or similar to apply aquarium silicone like paint? What's the consistency of it (I looked it up and it comes in a tube)? I'd feel safe with that.

Here's a picture if it's any more clear:

11tpqhi.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kate, I have one almost exactly like that one but it has never flaked. I looked at some solutions to fix yours but I think buying a new one will more than likely be the most inexpensive way to go.
New Waters Edge Bowl
http://www.petsolutions.com/Waters-Edge-Bowl+I43883552+C40002001.aspx
has Medium waters edge bowl on sale for $5.99 Item Number 43883554

You can also find Waters Edge Bowls on E-bay for minimum costs

Here are some other solutions. Some are costly Like Pond Coatings as I could not find only a small amount.

Pond coatings would do the trick, they are non toxic to turtles and fish. But they can be expensive.
I didn’t have a lot of time to search but here are a couple of places to start-
Neoprene Rubber Coating http://hechtrubber.com/Home/Home.htm
Pond / Water Fountain Coating and Repair Products http://www.sanitred.com/WaterFountain.htm

Mythic Non-Toxic Paint http://www.safepaint.net/petsafe.aspx
I have not used this.

Aquarium silicone is thick and rubbery. You could try it if you work fast you could brush it on Problem is if water gets underneath it, it can be peeled off and possibly eaten.

Hope this helps some.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I don't think I want to buy another one because there have been other instances of the paint peeling with this bowl (and it's made in China...):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006L13RC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
http://cnj.craigslist.org/for/968739931.html

I e-mailed the manufacturer again (maybe I'll have to call but I'm never home during business hours).

I guess the silicone isn't an option if it could peel off.

I wonder what they make these out of in the first place if it's just painted? I ordered it online--if I had seen it in the store I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Thanks for all your research!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
No problem Kate. I have seen some and actually have one that is not painted. The color is in the plastic. Good luck with the manufacturer.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Hmmm any way you remember the brand or name of it? I've only seen the ones with the little steps, not any others with the two slopes.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I was just on petco.com and they have some new waterdishes...just go to their reptile section and click on "new items" or whatever...its a more shallow dish, with stairs both in and out of it....I would post the link but I would have to find it first....

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I think it's called the Zilla Terraced Dish. It's ok but not perfect. Surprised that the price is actually reasonable!

Ruri

5 Year Member
I was talking with someone on another thread about water dishes, but I forgot whom.

Well, I was using the Waters Edge water dish for awhile and it does lose paint.

So I picked up this water dish and food dish for my RT Flash. I have been using this Zoo Med Repti Ramp Bowl for 2-3 weeks now. My Rt is 2 inches long and gets in and out fairly easy. It's about 1.25" deep and the ramp makes it east to climb in and out like the Waters Edge dish. Best of all this bowl doesn't have any paint.

llllrt002.jpg

llllrt001.jpg

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
Ruri said:
I was talking with someone on another thread about water dishes, but I forgot whom.

Well, I was using the Waters Edge water dish for awhile and it does lose paint.

So I picked up this water dish and food dish for my RT Flash. I have been using this Zoo Med Repti Ramp Bowl for 2-3 weeks now. My Rt is 2 inches long and gets in and out fairly easy. It's about 1.25" deep and the ramp makes it east to climb in and out like the Waters Edge dish. Best of all this bowl doesn't have any paint.

llllrt002.jpg

llllrt001.jpg

I have two of these grey zoo meds for the little guys and I'm happy :cool:with them. I had two of the brown ones with the fake wood and they started to leak after about a month. They are crap.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I'll have to look at the Repti Ramp one. The pics I had seen didn't show the ramp out of the bowl as well...that's exactly what I wanted! Yay. Hopefully I can find a good deal and it will last for years. It would give me some peace of mind, although my little guys pees a lot so he can't be dehydrated.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Hot glue is a good idea... it is inorganic... should not promote mold.

I use glazed plant saucers that are 1/4 to 1/2 inch high. I bury it into the substrate so it is even with the floor.

tortoisenerd said:
I'm still having water dish issues with my little hatchling...so forgive me that this is yet another thread on the topic.

He's 2 inches long, and seems to have limbs on the short side (he has trouble with any little change in terrain as he gets high-centered).

1. First I had a ramp bowl with the double slope (in and out). We both like it, but the paint was chipping and I was worried. I'd love to re-coat it with something safe to continue using it. I contacted the seller and manufacturer and unfortunately never heard back.

2. Tried lids for various things, sinking them into the aspen substrate (about the same shape as plant saucers which have been suggested). He has trouble getting out if it's actually deep enough for a soak(I test him out in it and he can't get out), but if it's really shallow he can manage, but he wouldn't actually be able to drink I don't think. I've heard they need to be able to get their head in.

Tried rocks in the bottom but it freaks him out. My fiance doesn't want me to use hot glue to glue the rocks down because he thinks the glue could seep into the water or grow mold (between the rocks).

3. Bought the smallest paint roller tray they had. It still had too many changes in slope for him to manage. I put in all sorts of rocks and sunk it in and made a ramp up with the shavings. I don't think he liked the plasticness of it as it was shiny and not too solid.

Getting pretty annoyed right now with finding him something for his water dish, as I'd like him to have the option even though I soak him every other day.

Suggestions? Give up on a water dish until he's bigger (and can manage the paint tray)? Does anyone use something for their hatchling besides a paint tray, commercially-available bowl, or saucer?

I wish I could justify $30 for the ramp water bowls I've seen...but I still think he'd have trouble getting out of it. I'd still love suggestions for re-sealing his double-ramp bowl (T-Rex Water's Edge). Thanks.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Success! Went out to a larger Petco in the town near me to browse water bowls. I went in thinking I'd just look, and order the Zoo Med Repti Ramp XL bowl for him to grow into. Went out $50 later with a Zoo Med Repti Ramp L (like Richard has, shown above), as I could tell he'd get high-centered on the ramp for the XL for sure. Glad I didn't buy that one online. Also bought the Fluker's Groovy Jacuzzi, XL. They actually had about 6-8 different options, and all the sizes. I was impressed with the selection.

Took them both home, planning to return at least one. I'm told with a receipt I can return anything. That's about the only pro I see about Petco...I saw three sorry looking russian torts in a little tank there among other sad animals.

I had Trevor try out both the bowls without water. He couldn't get out of the Repti Ramp bowl because it was very slippery for him. He kept getting hung up at the top. Maybe if I got a tiny one it would work, but I wanted to make a purchase that would last awhile (the hermit crab size bowl would just fit him right now but he's growing up fast).

The jacuzzi bowl is awesome! It has two sets of steps--one steeper set, and one shallow. Side by side. It sits into the substrate and has a big lip around it. Trevor can get out of it no problem--it was a good bit of exercise for him too. He even chilled in there a bit once the water was in and used the facilities. Took him a little bit to figure out you can only get out on one side. It's big enough it will last him hopefully forever. I'm actually surprised they don't make any larger models because if you have an adult russian tort I'd imagine it would be too small unless they are under 5"...seems like an untapped market for large torts with how big some breeds get. Then again, larger torts can use paint trays and more conventional dishes easier (and a water dish > $30 is too much for most).

It retails for under $20 online and it seems very well-made and sturdy. I like the color, and it actually adds to the aesthetics of the tort table. I ended up putting it closer to his heat light so hopefully the water temp will be nice and I can see him use it and cut back on the soakings. Very happy with my purchase. Hopefully I'll get a real picture up here soon. This is just a stock picture. Another site online wrote that this dish would be unsuitable for a hatchling, and recommended the Repti Ramp! Guess it's a case-by-case thing. I'll return the more expensive ramp bowl and settle on the approximately $22 jacuzzi bowl.

2chnfrt.jpg

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kate, I am glad you found something that works. (Just a thought) I have a larger Zoo Med Repti Ramp bowl that I actually scratched the top (where it is slick) so that the tort gets his nails into the scratches. Since there is no paint, there is no problems. And I just use a brush to clean.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I was so relieved. I think Trevor is finally settled and I don't plan to buy anything else for awhile. I'll have to take new photos because his enclosure has been evolving. If the jacuzzi tub hadn't worked I probably would have tried to rough up the ramp bowl--hate to scratch a new product though, and I think the jacuzzi one will last him a little longer size-wise. I think they're new so hopefully this got the word out on this forum at least (it's a great product, although they have a pyramided tort on the packaging, sad).

Status
Not open for further replies.