Hatchling Sulcata, video

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
~ Please watch this video of this hatchling sulcata soaking. He is just above 30g and something is not right. We picked him up two days ago and he seemed very lethargic. He has been here for two days, good warm soaking and plenty of natural sunshine. He seems to open his mouth often and usually keeps his head upright in at a high angle. He walks unstable and kinda wobbles at times. Kinda like he is unbalanced. I am thinking he may have some sort of possible neurological disorder of some kind. Any thoughts would be great, especially if any one has experienced anything similar.

@Tom
@Will
@Yvonne G

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It does seem odd. Some sort of neurological congenital defect is a possibility.

Respiratory infection is also a possibility. How is it being housed? What are the four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low? How are you heating and lighting it?

Impaction or constipation is another possibility. How was it housed and cared for before you got it? What was it fed? What substrate?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
It does seem odd. Some sort of neurological congenital defect is a possibility. // Respiratory infection is also a possibility. // Impaction or constipation is another possibility.

~ Thank you @Tom , our thoughts also.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I get the impression it has something stuck either in the mouth or back of the throat. He's trying to back up to get away from whatever's stuck. Might even be something that's covering the roof of his mouth and he can't breathe.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yvonne's suggestion makes alot of sense to me, and it is the most simple to sort out by looking into the mouth. It's almost like it is having a mouth-drinking coordination problem. I can't discount any suggestion, but it ends up being a process of elimination, and checking if a blade of grass is stuck in its mouth or something like that could be a simple thing to check and deal with or eliminate as a possibility.