Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Ok, this post is pic heavy...

I have been "nesting" ever since I have decided to get a little Greek hatchling from Danny (who i have already decided to call Anouk which is pronounced basically the way it is written)

Her enclosure is 31" by 13" and 6" deep. The bedding I used is aspen, in case anybody didn't recognize it :D

Also, when I was out getting supplies, I came across a little ceramic tortoise that was the perfect size reference. That's the "tort" in some of the pics. I used it as a reference just to let you all know how much room my hatchling will have. The ceramic tort is just over two inches, so I figured it would be just her size :p

Ok. Here are the pics:

Full overhead view. The side on the left will be her hot side, and I plan on getting one more hide to make into a humid hide, and put it between the plant in the corner, and the hedge by the water dish. The lower left corner will be where the lamp is pointed at to create her hotspot

Anouksenclosure016.jpg

Long view from what will be the hot side (those rocks in her waterdish are hot glued into place to serve as a sort of ramp out of her dish):

Anouksenclosure013.jpg

This pic is supposed to focus on the "grass hide" I made for her. I got a little plot of grass and cut out the middle to make a more natural sort of hide for her (I guess I will have to find out if she uses it to see if it was a decent idea) Size reference is there to show how big it is...

Anouksenclosure010.jpg

Lastly, I took pictures of some of the plants I put in there. All are attached to rocks to keep them stable. (I don't know what kind of "plants" they are...if anyone else does, it'd be fun to know)

Anouksenclosure018.jpg

Anouksenclosure024.jpg

And this is her "hedge" that I made from leftover grass.

Anouksenclosure019.jpg

Some might be wondering what that "pile" of rocks is. Each stone was hand chosen, and hot glued securely into place to provide not only a cooler surface for my hatchling, but a different texture to experience. (i had alot of time on my hands lol) You can also see in this pic that the sides of her enclosure are covered in black paper, so that she cannot see out.

Anouksenclosure021.jpg

I am now brainstorming on how to make a stand for her lamp to clamp on to, since attaching it to the side of her enclosure is not an option...If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear em.

What does everybody think? How'd I do? :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It looks great Meg :D Mine are on metal shelves, so I can use a post to clip the light onto.

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

You DO have too much time on your hands...:p that looks really good but I would worry about fumes from the glue? Is that something to worry about? Here's a link to a lamp stand. You might not be able to see it because of you not being a member. So if you can't...It's Zoo-land lamp stand. If you Google it you should be able to find several. I found one at LLReptile also...oops!!! I forgot to say that looks really good!!!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Thanks! It gives me something to do when Nigel is napping and there is nothing on the 13 channels I get on tv (or any new topics here! :p) The glue is pretty scentless...plus, it will be sitting until April when its in use, so I think anything will have dissipated by then. Its basically like melting plastic into place...it sets up quickly and then the smell goes away.

I didn't get the link for the lamp stand. I will go the website instead...

I'm glad people think its ok! I just want to make sure its good for her.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I love the Zoo Med lamp stand. Very safe and stable, adjusts in every which way. I have a mercury vapor bulb and heard it's important to keep those steady and just straight down. Expensive, but I don't see any reason it won't last a long time.

I like the enclosure! =)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Whew! Thanks! I was preparing myself to be told to remove stuff etc. That's why i posted this so early...to make sure everything is safe. I tried no to have any climbable items in there too...because i've been learning that if hatchling flip themselves over, and cant get back up, its hard on their little lungs...(plus I learned the hard way w/ Nigel...He still likes to climb up, and fall off, his log)

I'm so excited to get her! My little ceramic tort isn't nearly as cute or interesting as she is!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
sounds like that's what i will get then! what size should her dome lamp be? (i'll get one from walmart cause i hear they are more reasonable) And should it be ceramic coated, or metal? (I know it needs a ceramic socket)

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what else should be added in her enclosure? I was thinking of adding another vine at the top, just for some more cover (I hear that babies like dense foliage, as that as where they try to be in the wild--is this true) what do you guys think?

Robyn, do you have pics of your enclosures up? I know you've got greek babies!

do you think she'll use that grass hide?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Is 26$ a bad price to pay for the lamp stand? that's how much petco is saying they have them for....also, is a scale that weighs in WHOLE grams, a bad idea? Should I find one that weighs all the measurements for grams (like 2.3 grams vs 2 grams)

pPETS-3760368t400.jpg

This is the type of bulb that should be on both of them right?
How big of a dome lamp should each tort have? Nigel right now has a 5.5 in lamp....

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Thats the bulb Meg :D I would think you'd need at least a 10" dome for the bulb.
I never went with very fine scales, just one that does whole grams should be fine. They get big pretty quick and you don't need the fine when they are over 1,000g :p

Danny

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
$26 for the lamp stand sounds about right. You might be able to get it as low as $20 if you shop around, but then you'd have to pay for shipping. Unless you have a big online order you could place and get free shipping (usually over $75-100), I'd get it at Petco. Hate that store personally though!

I like the Mega Ray MVB myself because the research shows the UVB output is higher.

I agree on the 10" dome.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
jobeanator-The Mercury Vapor Bulbs can usually be used as the only light/heat/UVB. Some people need extra heat as they only provide spot heat, and some people may need extra light if it's a large enclosure and/or their species likes high light.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Thanks for the compliments everybody! Here is a final pic of the enclosure:

I added a few more plants around the edges, just so that it wasn't so "open"...with the sides of the box being as low as they are, I didn't want her to feel too exposed. But I am officially ending construction on this habitat (plant wise lol). So this is how it should look when she moves in! :p

I was thinking of adding another hide in the form of a small terracotta pot, half buried into the substrate, but I think I will wait until April to pick one up, so I can get one the right size for her. The lower left side will still be her hot spot, that's why it looks a little barren. I will probably put the terracotta pot into the lower left corner area if I do get one....

EnclosuresUPDATED071.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
All of your beautiful fake plants are making me pine for spring, so that I can get outside and build the most awesomest tortoise garden ever!!!

So that my Sulcatas can promptly destroy it, of course!

Kristina

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Oh do I know it! I've got a corner of the yard all picked out for Nigel come spring. I keep looking at all the darn snow here and fuming. Its driving me nuts, even though I know its alittle early for spring fever....I've already got bricks I think too, and two out of the four sides are stockade fencing, so I only need to add an L on new brick to enclose it...

I'm hoping He'll be a little easier on the plant life, since he's not a real big guy. Anouk will have a baby pen built for her, but will only be out with supervision. I don't trust the birds with her tiny size...(just normal birds, starlings and whatever---Nigel should be fine! :p)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Meg90 said:
Oh do I know it! I've got a corner of the yard all picked out for Nigel come spring. I keep looking at all the darn snow here and fuming. Its driving me nuts, even though I know its alittle early for spring fever....I've already got bricks I think too, and two out of the four sides are stockade fencing, so I only need to add an L on new brick to enclose it...

I'm hoping He'll be a little easier on the plant life, since he's not a real big guy. Anouk will have a baby pen built for her, but will only be out with supervision. I don't trust the birds with her tiny size...(just normal birds, starlings and whatever---Nigel should be fine! :p)

I can garuantee that your little dude will be a lot easier on the plantlife and landscaping than my 13" girl will. I won't be surprised if she is even bigger come time to go outside, she is gaining weight like crazy. I think it is a combo of the temps and the food. She's a moose!

Not to mention they haven't been outside before, so they are probably going to go a little nuts :)

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.