Hatchling not opening eyes, but moves and tries to eat.

edd080

Location (City and/or State)
SN
Hello to all, we have a Greek Tort, approx 18 weeks old. Its spending its first winter with us and we noticed that it recently does not open its eyes. It however moves when we pick it up and also was trying to eat, we tried to give it food (lettuce) in its mouth but it couldnt manage to eat, I also tried to soak it in warm water but it does not seem to work either. Could it be stressed? Hibernating? Should we seek the help of a vet?
Thank you for your replies.

Attachments

• 20210111_172300.jpg
    20210111_172300.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's almost always about husbandry and the vet can't help with husbandry. You need to read the care sheet pinned at the top of the Greek section and make changes accordingly. I'll bet it has to do with temperature. Warm the enclosure up to 80°F day and night and soak him daily in warm water for a half hour.

edd080

SN
It's almost always about husbandry and the vet can't help with husbandry. You need to read the care sheet pinned at the top of the Greek section and make changes accordingly. I'll bet it has to do with temperature. Warm the enclosure up to 80°F day and night and soak him daily in warm water for a half hour.
Hi Yvonne, many thanks for your post i will work on what you suggested and I will let you know how it goes.
Cheers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello to all, we have a Greek Tort, approx 18 weeks old. Its spending its first winter with us and we noticed that it recently does not open its eyes. It however moves when we pick it up and also was trying to eat, we tried to give it food (lettuce) in its mouth but it couldnt manage to eat, I also tried to soak it in warm water but it does not seem to work either. Could it be stressed? Hibernating? Should we seek the help of a vet?
Thank you for your replies.
If you tell us more about your heating and lighting and what your temperatures and substrate are, we might be able to help you save him.