Hatchling leopard tortoise for adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
This little guy has an URI, but still eats great, drinks and deficates. Times are tough here, like everywhere else and the funds and time are not going to allow for proper treatment. So, I am willing to give her to someone who has the time and funds.

If shipping is required, I would have to ask the adoptee to pay for shipping. Otherwise, pick will need to be done. (Huntsville, AR 72740)

A little history, I picked this fella up at a reptile show in Jan. She was housed with 4 redfoots. Hopefully she did not contract a bug. She was a little sluggish to begin with, but never showed any illness signs until recently.

If you are willing to give this little one time and attention please email [email protected]. Thanks.
reptiles 006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Kelly,

I'm so sorry you have to find a new home for your adorable leopard. Would you be able to get the required health certificate for shipping interstate? I'm not sure so shipping would be good for her/him if she has a URI. I hope you find someone close enough to pick her up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quite often a bubbly nose is merely an indication of a stressed-out animal. Sometimes its a habitat that's too dry.

Don't be so quick to jump to the respiratory infection fear. The tortoise might not need antibiotics, just a quieter, calmer, moister environment.

Most of the tortoises that come here to the rescue develop a bubbly nose after a day or so. I just leave them alone, let them be a tortoise and it usually resolves itself in a week or so.

Yvonne

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
katesgoey said:
Kelly,

I'm so sorry you have to find a new home for your adorable leopard. Would you be able to get the required health certificate for shipping interstate? I'm not sure so shipping would be good for her/him if she has a URI. I hope you find someone close enough to pick her up.

Oh, I forgot about the health certificate. And you are right, shipping would not be a very good idea, but I do not know anyone close to me that could take her. Looks like I will have to rethink my thoughts. Thank you for reminding me.

emysemys said:
Quite often a bubbly nose is merely an indication of a stressed-out animal. Sometimes its a habitat that's too dry.

Don't be so quick to jump to the respiratory infection fear. The tortoise might not need antibiotics, just a quieter, calmer, moister environment.

Most of the tortoises that come here to the rescue develop a bubbly nose after a day or so. I just leave them alone, let them be a tortoise and it usually resolves itself in a week or so.

Yvonne

Yvonne,

It is not just a bubbly nose though, she is also having eye problems (which I am treating) and just seems to be lethargic. I am not saying that she is for sure ill, but I would still like to find her a new home. I have been giving away or selling off most my animals because I just no longer have the time to spend with them like I did. We are having to do more work on the farm ourselves now and my time for other things is dwindling.

I guess it would be best to find someone local right now though since I do not have a health cert. yet.

Thanks again.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
The leopard tortoise has been adopted locally. Thank you to all who responded.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ArkansasKelly said:
I guess it would be best to find someone local right now though since I do not have a health cert. yet.

Just an FYI for everyone about the health certificate required to ship a tortoise: The certificate states that the tortoise is free of ticks. That's all. Period. This came into being several years ago when someone in government realized that tortoises coming into this country from Africa might possible be carriers for a tick that brings with it a disease that effects hooved animals.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.