Status
Not open for further replies.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
One my eggs just hatched.

I'm not sure what do at the moment. He is struggling to get out of his egg and keep rolling up side down.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Ton

One happy new tortoise dad.

should leave him in the incubator until he fully breaks out of the egg?

thanks

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
here is a pic of the new little guy. His name is Linus. It was quite a surprise that arrive this early. I still have another one in the incubator.

Attachments

• email pic.jpg
    email pic.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 59

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
All I know is to put it in a deli cup with a glob of antibiotic ointment in the bottom of it, to keep it moist until it absorbs the entire egg sack... I think right back in the incubator. So that it stays warm enough...

Beautiful baby! What an awesome feeling you must have right now. :)

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
thanks for the info Meg :)

He is currently back it the incubator with a temperature of 31.7 degrees and in container of vermiculite. Should I remove from the vermiculite? Is the temp. a too high also?

Meg90 said:
All I know is to put it in a deli cup with a glob of antibiotic ointment in the bottom of it, to keep it moist until it absorbs the entire egg sack... I think right back in the incubator. So that it stays warm enough...

Beautiful baby! What an awesome feeling you must have right now. :)

I'm feeling sky high because this my first hatchling.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Congratulations, Ton, on becoming a new daddy!!!

2011972j9411xtwvp.gif

Just leave the baby in the incubator until he is all the way out of the egg. After they hatch out I put them inside a small container on a slightly moist paper towell, and put a dab of antibiotic ointment on the yolk sak remains (like what Meg said).

Yvonne

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
emysemys said:

2011972j9411xtwvp.gif

Just leave the baby in the incubator until he is all the way out of the egg. After they hatch out I put them inside a small container on a slightly moist paper towell, and put a dab of antibiotic ointment on the yolk sak remains (like what Meg said).

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne and Meg,

Thank you for the advice. Where would I get antibiotic ointment? Is there a special reptile brand or just polysprin?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can buy it at the drug store. Neosporin, Polysporin, etc.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

How great is that!!! I would so love to have an egg hatch...Anybody got an egg they want to send me? The I would send the turtle back to you...ha ha ha:p

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ton, congratulations on your first hatchling. You have gotten great advice from Meg and Yvonne about the antibiotic. Just a dap smeared in the bottom so the yolk does not stick if it indeed comes out of the egg with a yolk sack some will absorb it before they are all the way out of the egg. Here are my two still in the incubator. notice the bottom of the glass bowls have a little bit of antibiotic ointment smeared in them so their bellies slide easily.
P4300284.jpg

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
my little guy has no yolk. Should I still keep him in the incubator at 31.7? If so, how long should he remain there.

He is quite active. If there is no yolk, should I place him in normal substrate?

Thanks

emysemys said:

2011972j9411xtwvp.gif

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,

How long should I keep in the moist paper towel? should container be in the incubator? He has no yolk when he broke out today.

Thank you to everyone for the advice.

Ton

here are some additional pics

Attachments

• email two.jpg
    email two.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 21
  • email 3.jpg
    email 3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 19

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I LOVE that first picture. It looks like he's going to wear his egg-shell instead of his tortoise shell!

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.