MadeyK

Location (City and/or State)
Cooperstown Wisconsin
I recently got a hatchling from tortoise town and Im struggling with getting the humidity above 35% in his enclosure. I soak him for 15 minutes everyday along with dampening his bedding. I also mist down his table two/three times a day. I have his humidity gage about 6 inches off the substrate on the side, wondering if its just not reading it right up there? I have a humid hide which he never goes in, and in a corner i put sphagnum moss which is where he normally is buried. I was looking to just get a fogger. And was wondering what everyone else uses? I read a lot that the ones made for reptiles aren’t recommended. I only really have access to Amazon at the moment due to quarantine and was wondering what you’d recommend getting. I figured getting a fogger would be the best option since i dont want his bedding being too wet and still having low humidity. Im just in a panic not knowing what to do anymore. I also hear their humidity should be kept at 40-60. But i also hear 70-80! I have no idea what to do but either way its too low.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 51

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Your tortoise should have humidity that is 60 or higher. What substrate are you using, and what kind of thermometer? Can we see a picture of your enclosure?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Oh, and be sure to read through some tortoise town reviews. They’re not the greatest vender, so it’s good to be sure that you know what to look for if anything goes wrong.

MadeyK

Cooperstown Wisconsin
I use a mix of repti bark and eco earth. Thinking maybe to just using the eco earth and some topsoil? Heres a photo of his full enclosure, didnt put in the other side because he never went in there before but i do wet that substate as well. He has the aivituvin wooden tortoise house that i got off of amazon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40

MadeyK

Cooperstown Wisconsin
Oh, and be sure to read through some tortoise town reviews. They’re not the greatest vender, so it’s good to be sure that you know what to look for if anything goes wrong.
I read the reviews on the website... but didnt find this forum until after i ordered him when i had troubles with them not sending him and already taking the payment, it was a lot of back and forth and a mess! Just glad we received him and now know to never order from them again:)

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I read the reviews on the website... but didnt find this forum until after i ordered him when i had troubles with them not sending him and already taking the payment, it was a lot of back and forth and a mess! Just glad we received him and now know to never order from them again:)
I had that same issue!!!!! They told me their warehouse had flooded! What excuse did they give you? I waited 2 weeks ? NEVER AGAIN! lol

Only going through here in the future

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I use a mix of repti bark and eco earth. Thinking maybe to just using the eco earth and some topsoil? Heres a photo of his full enclosure, didnt put in the other side because he never went in there before but i do wet that substate as well. He has the aivituvin wooden tortoise house that i got off of amazon.
The substrate you have currently is good, and I wouldn’t use topsoil. It’s muddy, and you can’t be totally sure of it’s composition.

the hygrometer you're using needs to be moved down to tortoise level.

You’ll likely have to cover at least part of the top of the enclosure with plastic wrap, tin foil, or a shower curtain.

what are you using for lighting?

do you have a water bowl? If not, you need a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate for water.

MadeyK

Cooperstown Wisconsin
The substrate you have currently is good, and I wouldn’t use topsoil. It’s muddy, and you can’t be totally sure of it’s composition.

the hygrometer you're using needs to be moved down to tortoise level.

You’ll likely have to cover at least part of the top of the enclosure with plastic wrap, tin foil, or a shower curtain.

what are you using for lighting?

do you have a water bowl? If not, you need a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate for water.
I did have a terra cotta saucer in there, but then he flipped over and im scared he’ll do it again. He has a 100 watt uv uvb powersun. I was thinking of getting a heat emitter too for at night but the temperature never drops below 73 in the house (normally is 75-80). I will definitely lower the gauge. Thank you! I never read anything about it or even thought of it until today.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I did have a terra cotta saucer in there, but then he flipped over and im scared he’ll do it again. He has a 100 watt uv uvb powersun. I was thinking of getting a heat emitter too for at night but the temperature never drops below 73 in the house (normally is 75-80). I will definitely lower the gauge. Thank you! I never read anything about it or even thought of it until today.
I would put the saucer back in, but make sure it’s buried down to substrate level. You may even put rocks in the bottom if it’s too deep. Your night temps should be fine.

MadeyK

Cooperstown Wisconsin
I had that same issue!!!!! They told me their warehouse had flooded! What excuse did they give you? I waited 2 weeks ? NEVER AGAIN! lol

Only going through here in the future
They never even gave me a valid reason. Just kept giving me vague replies and not answering calls and my voicemails. I never even got a confirmation email but yet the money was already taken out? But yes never again!

MadeyK

Cooperstown Wisconsin
I would put the saucer back in, but make sure it’s buried down to substrate level. You may even put rocks in the bottom if it’s too deep. Your night temps should be fine.
Like river rocks? Or kind of aquarium rocks? I did have it buried down in the substrate but getting out he couldn't climb over the side

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Like river rocks? Or kind of aquarium rocks? I did have it buried down in the substrate but getting out he couldn't climb over the side
Like river rocks or larger pebbles, yeah, just be sure to clean it well

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
This is how I have my larger terracotta

Attachments

• 20200607_193530.jpg
    20200607_193530.jpg
    745.6 KB · Views: 25

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
If you don't have the top of the enclosure closed off somehow you will never hold in humidity (nor temps for that matter). You can use plexiglass or tinfoil or plastic. whatever you have on hand, just make sure to keep it away from heat and lights

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
and what type of light are you using for basking and heating. I only see one in the pictures. Take a look at the caresheet.