Hatchling Hermanns basic enclosure build thread

BriGuy31

Hello, this will be my first tortoise enclosure. My first tortoise will be a six week old "Dalmation" hermanns tortoise that is approximately 1.5 inches big. He/she will be arriving in a week or so and I'd like to get this set-up running for several days before arrival. I have been doing some research and will use this thread to ask specific questions for help from this wonderful community. I will need help picking the best lighting and heating wattage. I will post questions at the end to keep them organized. I have read the lighting forums but the size specific to my chosen enclosure is still in question for me. This will start as a very basic enclosure but I understand the need to expand as needed. I live in Michigan and will plan a larger outdoor enclosure for use during the summer months, if appropriate. I have only bought the tub, while the other aspects are still up in the air.

Enclosure:
I have chosen a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tub. It is 40x22x18.
upload_2015-11-28_15-6-25.png

Lighting:
I am questioning the spot light or strip lighting. I know that the entire enclosure will nee coverage with a UVB 10.0 bulb. I'm not sure if a spot light type bulb will cover this 40" tub. I am thinking this 24" light bulb will be ok. I will cut a hole in the lid to make this fit. This will be on a timer to have 12-14 hours of light per day.

upload_2015-11-28_15-26-43.png

Heat:
I will buy a ceramic Infrared heat emitter. I want to be able to add heat throughout the day and night as needed without the use of a heat lamp. I will place this on one side of the tub hanging vertically. I am hoping this will also keep the "cool" side around 80 while having the basking area closer to 90-95. I have a heat gun that I use for my ball pythons that I will use to spot check temps. There will be no underground or heat rock. The sole heat source will be this ceramic bulb. This will be hooked up to a thermostat like this one:
upload_2015-11-28_15-30-18.png

upload_2015-11-28_15-32-9.png

Substrate:
I will use the recommended combo of top soil, coconut coir and cypress mulch. I also have a home humidifier that I might try to put on a timer to cycle on a few times per day. We'll see how often is needed but I have understood the emphasis of proper humidity for a hatchling tortoise and I have taken note. I will also be working on several hides, a slate for a food dish, and other "extras".

Questions:

1) Will a "spot light" or strip UVB light be better? I think a spot light type will be cheaper and more easy to adapt to a larger enclosure when the time comes.

2) What wattage of ceramic heat bulb will properly heat this tub?

3) How many of you think the 40"x22" enclosure is OK for a hatchling? I will upgrade when growth dictates. He is only 1.5" now so I think this will be fine.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-28_15-24-36.png
    upload_2015-11-28_15-24-36.png
    476.2 KB · Views: 8
  • upload_2015-11-28_15-26-24.png
    upload_2015-11-28_15-26-24.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal California
If the CHE is on a thermostat, I don't think wattage really matters. The dimension are fine for now. When you upgrade to a larger enclosure, a higher wattage will be more useful.

Have you started on the enclosure? If you put everything together, you can add plants or seeds and have it all ready for your new baby. Plus the substrate needs time to compact and settle down so it's easier for the baby to walk around. It's pretty 'fluffy' at first.

UVB spot and tube lighting usage really is a preference. Natural sun of course is the best - if temperature permits.

I would try to get items/supplies that will transfer easily to a larger enclosure.

Have you checked the hatchling/baby care sheet for the Testudo torts?Good luck and have fun!

BriGuy31

I have read at least a dozen care sheets. I am really just trying to get opinions on wattage. I am now thinking a MVB spotlight on a timer towards the right side of the enclosure. Height from substrate will be about 12-14" using a 8 inch "clip on light" that will be very secure while cutting a hole into the lid. I'm not sure if a 100watt MVB or 160w would be best. I also saw a good company offering a 75w. Any ideas? I also came across a piece of glass I thought of modifying to create a viewing window from the side (not ground level so he can't see out). Then I will add a ceramic heat bulb onto a thermostat.

I have not set it up yet. So I will only have 5-6 days to "dry" test run the set-up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19

BriGuy31

Here my updated pictures. There is a 100 ceramic heat bulb that will be connected to a thermostat that I am waiting to come from eBay. I picked a MegaRay 100 MVB for the right side. Multiple hides and moss in the right side. Humidity test runs will start when I get the thermostat and MVB bulb.
20151202_192817.jpg 20151202_135037.jpg 20151202_140131.jpg 20151202_140137.jpg

grandlinegirl

I have to set up a temp home for my Hermann's that I'm getting in two-ish weeks while I wait for its big 2x7 enclosure to be finished. I think what you did with the glass was awesome! I can't quite tell how you attached it? Is that silicone?

BriGuy31

I used two bolts on each side. They are black and hard to see from the front. I simply drilled through the tub and used brackets on the inside. Rubber spacers were used on the inside to hold the glass in place. While this is not air or water tight, I ran a bead of silicone along the bottom and half way up the side to prevent dirt from working it's way out. I used cypress, peat and top soil mix. Inside furnishings are very basic and will improve when the kids get more hot glue sticks. I have some rocks to add to the terrain as well.

BriGuy31

I installed the 100w Mega Ray MVB bulb that will be on a timer 12-14 hours per day. It does a good job of giving a solid gradient of light intensity from left to right. I will mount this on the right side.

The cool side is around 68 while this MVB is on with a basking temp of about 95. Should I install the ceramic heat bulb (to maintain night time temps) in the middle, in the same side as the basking area or were yhe cool side is during the day (essentially switching the

BriGuy31

Here is the set up that is passing it's "dry run". Considering I plan to only keep this for a year or so, the $120 was well spent. Almost half of that was the MVB bulb and $25 for a thermostat from ebay was also a good find. I found the two light fixtures from Tractor Supply company. They can handle 300w each and are ceramic receptacles. Black slate feeding area and water dish to the far right. I might add some herb plants in time.

The basking platform gets 95 and I set the thermostat probe on the cool side to control the ceramic heat emitter. That is set for 70F. I might increase this temp.

I am also considering cutting a strip in the lid to allow a little more airflow but I'll wait to make sure maintaining humidity is not a problem.
20151206_180046.jpg 20151206_180121.jpg 20151206_180609.jpg