Hatchling Hermann Can't Open Mouth & Eat

tgt038

5 Year Member
I breed Hermann's. One of my hatchling's this season is trying really hard to eat, but can't open it's mouth. It has survived on water with vitamins for the last 5-6 weeks since being born. The other hatchling's are now twice the size. It looks like the baby is able to drink fluid through it's nose, however the nostril is so small even a very small food particle wouldn't go through. I am unable to hold it's neck out to open the mouth and feed with a syringe or similar device. The baby is still very active and feels strong when it pushes against me whilst holding it.

Running out of options, it clearly has an instinct to eat and find food, but can only nudge food with it's head. It could therefore mean it has very weak jaw/mouth muscles.

Has anyone experienced this with a baby tort and advise of any options, I'm guessing I don't have too long left?

Thanks
Jon

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe @Yvonne G can help. I would start soaking it in warm water and add different baby foods to it. It will be able to possibly get some nourishment from that and also add some piedialyte to the soak too.

tgt038

5 Year Member
Thanks. I have been alternately diluting nutrobal and reptoboost into the water. It doesn't drink much as very small but must be getting something from it to be as active as it is. I'm giving three soaks per day in warm water. I will check out the piedialyte. @Yvonne G can you help at all?

Thanks
Jon

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
can the mouth open at all? Can you pry it open yourself?

tgt038

5 Year Member
The head/neck is very small, it's hard to hold the head without withdrawal into the shell. I have tried numerous times to open the mouth when possible but it's very delicate. The mouth doesn't move at all when drinking (through nose), touching the head or trying to pry open.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I was just wondering if you knew whether the mouth could actually open or if it is sealed shut through some genetic defect

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Please post pictures of your tort asap, so as to enable us to help you.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

tgt038

5 Year Member
I have attached some pictures. One shows the difference in size compared to one of the other hatchlings. The baby felt a little weaker today.

IMG_0762[1].JPG IMG_0762[1].JPG IMG_0761[1].JPG IMG_0758[1].JPG IMG_0755[1].JPG IMG_0757[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've heard of cases like this. Hatchlings with some sort of jaw anomaly that makes it impossible for them to eat. They can survive a surprisingly long time, a year or longer, if they are able to drink and if you are able to squirt some liquified food into their mouth with a syringe. However, they'll hardly grow and eventually die. As far as I know, vets can't do anything about it but put a quick end to their suffering. The hatchlings are just too small. But by all means, consult your vet, and let us know how it goes. Good luck!